Reunion - Part 14

Senna sat on the stool near the cot they'd placed Fives on, picking at her fingernails nervously. They had made it back to Yavin 4 unscathed and immediately moved Fives to a small observation room that had been hastily equipped for medical care. Fives lay in the bed next to her, still unconscious. They had found a light blue shirt and tan pants to dress him in which had hung off his body loosely as they'd eased him into the bed. His pallor had continued to improve with every minute that separated him from the time he'd spent in the stasis chamber, but the dark circles around his eyes and bruises where the medical sensors had been placed on his skin were still apparent to Senna.

Tech had suggested Senna be the one to first interact with Fives since they weren't sure where his loyalties lied, and after some consideration, Echo and Rex had agreed. The records Echo had accessed had detailed hundreds of horrible tests and experiments. The Empire had tried to determine how he became aware of Order 66, how he'd managed to overcome the chip's programming and remove it of his own free will, how the Kaminoans had failed. He'd been studied as part of the experimental initiative to enhance the chip's programming, likely the same programming that had been used on Crosshair. Tech had scanned his brain and was sure his chip hadn't been replaced, but they couldn't be certain what state he would wake up in due to what he'd endured. After some discussion, they'd all agreed it would be best to have an unfamiliar face be the one to greet him, not one of a soldier. He's been through so much, and now we get to find out what that's done to him mentally, Senna thought. She shuddered despite the warm air circulating in the room.

Senna wasn't wearing her lightsaber at her belt, having given it to Rex before she entered to ensure Fives wouldn't immediately be able to identify her as a Jedi. They'd decided that she would use the same technique that she'd used on Rex before to bring him out of it gently. Senna glanced over her shoulder one more time at the observation window behind her. Even though it only showed her own image reflected back at her, she could feel Echo, Tech, and Rex's eyes watching her. Hunter and Wrecker were down the hall if they were needed, but the expression on Hunter's face when they'd told him who the clone was had been one of understanding and recognition. "We never met Fives before he died, but Echo talked about him enough we might as well have. We'll steer clear unless things get out of hand," he'd said softly. Senna had squeezed his arm gently.

"Thanks. We'll keep you posted."

Tech's voice buzzed over the intercom, echoing loudly in the small room and interrupting Senna's thoughts. "Whenever you're ready. Don't forget about the sedative."

How could I forget? Senna had protested, but Tech had insisted, pressing the syringe into her hand before she entered. "In case he becomes violent."

She sighed deeply, flexing her fingers one more time before gently placing them at Fives's temples. Here goes nothing. She reached out through the Force, searching to find Fives in it. His signature was there, but faint from the sedation.

"I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me."

She felt her connection to him grow, his signature reaching back towards her as she beckoned him forward out of the darkness. Be gentle. Be welcoming. Be safety.

"I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me."

She felt his pulse strengthen, his fingers twitching against her side as she leaned over him.

"I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me."

She heard his raspy baritone join hers, and she sat back heavily, trying to calm her stuttering breath as her heart slammed against her ribcage. Fives had gone silent again, but his fingers continued to flex at his sides. Gently, Senna reached out to lay a hand on his chest.