Reunion - Part 11

The first rays of sunlight filtered in through the windows that were cut high into the walls of the building they slept in, striking Senna's face. She wrinkled her nose and groaned quietly, slowly opening her eyes. Tech and Echo were asleep in some of the neighboring bunks, stripped down to just their blacks. Tech's goggles dangled from one hand as he snored softly while Echo was curled on his side, his shoulders evenly rising and falling in his slumber. Senna shifted slightly, and the heavy arm resting across her hips squeezed a little tighter. Rex's warm palm snuck under her tunic to press against her stomach, pulling her close to him as he mumbled something in his sleep. She felt his warm breath tickle the nape of her neck as he nuzzled against her skin, sending goosebumps shooting along her shoulders and arms as a jolt ran down her spine.

The bed was meant for a single adult Wookiee, and while it was still somewhat of a tight fit, the two of them had managed to sleep snuggled against one another. Senna had been grateful for Rex's warmth as the temperature plummeted at night. The clones' blacks seemed to keep them warm enough, but Senna had found her teeth chattering early in the night as she tried to sleep in a separate bunk. Finally relenting, she had pulled her blanket around her shoulders, sneaking out of her bunk and over to Rex's, gently shaking him awake.

"What?" he mumbled, opening one eye grumpily.

"Move over," she had demanded, and with a deep sigh, he had relented, allowing her to snuggle close to him in his bunk.

"You're freezing," he had commented, brushing his fingertips over her bare arms as she pressed her back against his chest. "C'mere." He'd wrapped his arms tightly around her as she tucked her nose under the blanket, shivering until Rex's warmth permeated the chill and she had drifted off.

Now, she carefully lifted his arm from her as she disentangled herself from him. Rex grunted in his sleep, readjusting his grip as she tried to prop herself up on her elbow and sending her off balance. She fell back into the bunk with him, but not before she slid her right hand along the wooden frame, giving herself a splinter on the uneven wood. Senna laid back, glaring at Rex in the dim lighting as she swore softly, sucking on her finger. Rex was more awake now, eyes blearily opening as he gazed at her.

"What is it?" he asked groggily.

"Nothing. Just a splinter thanks to your grabbiness," she muttered, leaning over the edge of the bunk to paw at his utility belt on the ground. "You have any bacta patches in these pouches?"

Rex readjusted, laying on his back and draping one arm across his eyes as he tried to drift back to sleep for a few minutes more. "Should be."

Senna rolled her eyes as her fingers finally grazed one of the pouches. Stretching a little further, she managed to slip her fingers under the flap, pulling the belt within reach and digging her fingers inside. Spare cooling cells for his blasters. Not that one. She rotated the belt, feeling for the next pouch. Lifting the flap, she slipped her hand inside. The pouch almost seemed empty until her fingers brushed against something small and metal. What is this? She wrapped her fingers around it and pulled it loose, bringing it to her face for inspection. After a few seconds, recognition swept through her.

It was a tiny piece of metallic tubing a few centimeters in length, a nozzle on either end with two spacers seated along the tubing. She smiled as she remembered how she'd sworn loudly when she'd messed up the bend radius back on Lothal while repairing the speeder bike they'd shared. Senna had always had the odd habit of keeping tiny pieces of scrap from her projects, and she'd given this particular piece to Rex on Alderaan as a sort of memento. She grinned as she turned the small piece of metal over in her hands. Feeling Rex's eyes on her, she turned to find his amber irises watching her intently.