Reunion - Part 27

A/N: WELL, THIS IS IT! The last chapter! I want to thank everyone that's left comments. It really was kind of self-indulgent for me, and at times I was worried that I was just taking the readers along on my own personal fic adventure that I absolutely loved, so it meant a lot to see so many people get just as excited as I felt about it. EXTRA SPECIAL SHOUTOUT to my beta-reader Teletraan_1 (AO3 handle). This fic wouldn't be half of what it was without her, so if you haven't already, go check out her page and her fantastic work. She's got some awesome stuff on the horizon that you don't want to miss! But without further ado, here it is...

Senna felt Rex shift in bed next to her, and she squeezed her eyes shut harder, praying that she'd hear his snores resume one more time. He rolled over, and she could feel his eyes on her, a warm hand reaching up to brush some of the hair out of her face. Her heart stuttered in her chest at his touch, and she felt the emotions that had been dancing at the edges of her mind begin to overwhelm her. She had wished that the sun would stay below the horizon, that the day wouldn't come, but even now, she knew the sun had risen at least an hour ago by the light she'd glimpsed twinkling through the crack in the bunk door.

"I know you're awake, my love." His gentle baritone warmed her, and she sighed deeply, trying to stave off the tightening in her throat.

"But if I wasn't, then you'd have to be a considerate husband and let me sleep. And you can't say goodbye to me if I'm asleep."

He huffed a chuckle, his hand coming to rest against the side of her face, his thumb stroking her cheek.

"All you have to do is ask, Senna. You know that."

She sighed deeply, finally opening her eyes to find his watching her, a deep love and also sadness resting in the golden-brown irises that she took so much comfort in. Snuggling closer to him, she pressed her forehead against his.

"And you know I won't do that. Doesn't make this any easier though."

"It doesn't," he agreed, pulling her cybernetic hand to his lips and pressing a kiss to the Jaig eyes on her finger. Releasing her hand, he allowed his fingers to brush against her collarbone, scooping the ring that hung from the chain around her neck, resting against her bare chest. "But we'll see each other again soon. I promise."

She laughed, the tears starting to prickle at the corners of her eyes. "You say that like I'm leaving that in your control," she teased. "I'll be out there the second you run out of rations."

He chuckled again, but she could see he was warring with his emotions as much as she was. "I know you will." He slipped his fingers into her hair, cradling the back of her head as he softly kissed her. It almost felt as if he was stealing the breath from her lungs, Senna fighting the sob welling up within her as she memorized the feeling of his lips against hers.

"I'm yours, Senna," he whispered. "Always yours. I'll come back to you, I promise. And one day, we'll be together. No more counting the hours. Just us."

She finally surrendered to her sadness, burying her face in the crook of his shoulder and quietly crying. Rex held her gently, rocking her back and forth and pressing kisses to the top of her head as he rubbed small circles against her skin. She felt his breathing stutter and looked up to find his cheeks wet as well. Biting her lip to try and still her sobs, she reached up, brushing away the trails of water from his skin.

"You'd think this was the worst thing we'd gone through," she joked.

"Sure feels like it at the moment," he said quietly.

"I think a war was worse in the grand scheme of things."

He laughed dryly. "You're probably right."

"Don't you know I always am?"