what is love? pt. 1 (camilo x f!reader)

❥ baby don't hurt me-
⚠️warnings: none
❥ also sorry yall for how long this one is; i made y/n a bit too relatable and i sort of poured my feelings into her LOLOLOL anyways enjoy :)
——————————————————————

Camilo Madrigal was known as the jokester of the town, able to get along with everyone, and make everyone laugh or smile using his shapeshifting powers and charm. All but one person.

"Do I have to help you with your errands?" Camilo complained, trailing behind his cousin Mirabel.

Mirabel scoffed. "Duh! Your mom said you have to help me, so now you do! You're not gonna defy your own mother, are you?"
Camilo laughed. "Whatever."
"But before we do, I have to visit a friend."

"Who? You don't visit people often. Plus, this is a small town and there aren't many people our age here." Camilo said, cocking his head to the side.
"Do you know Y/N? You probably don't, since she doesn't really leave her house often. I usually visit her because she's kind of lonely, and she understands me, ya know?" Mirabel explained.

The name didn't ring a bell to him. Which was weird, since he knew everybody. It intrigued him.

"What's she like? Lonely and dark, I presume?"
"Yup."
"Really? I was kinda joking-"
"She's sort of an alchemist, so she's always busy and working on new stuff. But it's fun to talk to her, she kinda needs friends. But she says talking to people is exhausting." Mirabel shrugged.

-

"Y/N? I'm here, and I brought mi primo Camilo! You've heard of him, right?" Mirabel shouted out, her voice echoing throughout the large lab. There were glass tubes, diagrams and papers scattered everywhere.
"Is this friend of yours a mad scientist or something?" Camilo joked.
Mirabel elbowed him. "No.. well, sort of. But no!"

"Mirabel's a bit right. I wouldn't say 'mad scientist' but it's close to that. At least that's what the townspeople say." A voice sighed, getting up from under the table in front of the Madrigal cousins.

"Ah, good morning Y/N! I almost thought you were dead." Mirabel joked.
"I wish." Y/N replied, nonchalantly.

"Hi, I'm Camilo. I've never really seen you around, do you just always stay in here or something?" Camilo bluntly asked, once again earning himself an elbow to the gut from Mirabel.

"Pretty much. Nice to meet you, Camilo." Y/N said, shaking his hand and not expecting him to transform into her.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you that he can shapeshift." Mirabel chuckled, as Camilo played with the long white coat that came with Y/N's form.

"Don't worry, I know. I'm a scientist, observing things is my job. Do you think I just sit in here and sulk all day?" Y/N scoffed, not trying to sound mean but doing so anyway.

"Oh, so you know me? I'm flattered." Camilo joked, putting a hand on his chest dramatically.
"Don't be, with a face like that." Y/N said nonchalantly, but obviously joking.

"You went there? Oh, I'm so hurt!" He dramatically leaned against the wall and acted sad, hoping to gain a smile or laugh from the nonchalant girl, only to receive the same blank face.

"Does she sleep?" Camilo whispered, noticing the girl's dark eyebags.
"Probably not." Mirabel replied, as Y/N shrugged.

"So, you never get out of here, huh? What kind of stuff do you work on?" Camilo asked, not noticing Mirabel silently leaving the two alone.

"Well, I usually try to convert metals into something more valuable like gold, learn more about human health, and find ways to make life longer." Y/N said, mumbling the last part.
"Cool. That keeps you here all day? And night, I assume?" Camilo joked, pointing out her eyebags.

"I guess. I don't consider myself a genius, but most of my experiments turn out successful, so I try to put in as much effort as I can into it. Alchemy is the only thing I seem to be good at." Y/N sighed, still sounding tired and nonchalant.

Camilo has met his fair share of grumpy or overall tired people in his life, but they usually crack a smile or some type of reaction to his jokes. But Y/N is a different story. Why can't he make her laugh, or even curve her lips a little bit?

"What do you do in your spare time, other than help out the townspeople and babysit kids?" Y/N asked, scribbling things down onto a diagram.

Camilo sat down on a nearby chair, making himself comfortable. "Well, not much. I don't often have free time, since my family is always wanting me to help people. Whenever I do have free time, I go back to Casita to look for things to do. But my family always tells me to go and look to help someone. I love them very much, but I don't know why my family just thinks everybody needs help 24/7." Camilo ranted, as Y/N listened intently.

For a few hours, they both talked, mostly Camilo, and he was always attempting to make her laugh or react in some way. All she did, was mumble 'yeah' or 'mhm' and nodded or shook her head to whatever he was saying. It didn't frustrate him, however. It made him excited to keep trying at this challenge.
His goal was to make her laugh.

After talking for a while, his drive only grew more and more. She spoke softly and swiftly, despite being stuck in that lab for so long.
Her words were very genuine and made him feel guilty for never knowing her earlier. Y/N usually said things about her experiments and the townspeople, which actually made Camilo listen to her, as he was interested in what she had to say. He still cracked a few jokes every now and then, earning nothing more than a hum in reply.

As the sky grew dark, both teens had no knowledge of the amount of time that they had been speaking. However, neither of them knew how excited the other was to speak again tomorrow.

Camilo left and thought on his way back home. He only thought of Y/N, and how he still didn't give up on his goal. He would try again tomorrow, maybe even the next. Science does require trial and error, as she explained to him.

But Y/N was simply confused. How was she talking that long to a boy she had finally interacted with? For a few weeks, she silently watched from afar. She always observed people, Camilo intriguing her the most. But she never knew he would be this kind, funny, and understanding.

She did have emotions, and did have the urge to laugh at his jokes. But she held it back, knowing he would probably just leave, just like everyone else in her life. What was the point of bonding with someone if the bond was just going to break one day?
But this one felt different. Y/N was already attached to him, even after he ranted to her and spoke to her for an entire day. She cursed at herself for her attachment issues, but something inside her knew it was right. Knew this one was different,

And she didn't want to let go of that feeling.