i love you, so much (epilogue)

⚠️warnings: a n g s t
——————————————————-

There was a small tombstone surrounded by a sea of flowers, with only a name and a quote written neatly in big letters. There were no critters nor trees to frame the scenery, further enhancing the depressing atmosphere around the man sitting in front of the tombstone. 

The man clutched a single wilted rose in his hand, as he stared into the grave with an empty gaze.

"Good morning, again... I brought you roses this time. Your favorite. You always said that you didn't care how cheesy roses were, and you loved the deep color of the petals. They always reminded me of you. A gentle exterior that could easily be ruined yet stands tall when treated carefully. Not that I'm saying you were weak, but I'm trying to say... that you were too good for this world... too good for me..."

He sighed, gently placing the rose among the rest of the flowers that he previously brought, including some from loved ones. But it was easy to tell which were from friends, and which ones were picked with care, chosen from a man still grieving for his significant other.

Over and over again, his eyes traced the letters on the grave, silently hoping his love would come back, hoping for a miracle.

But nothing happened.

Instead, the words on the grave were laced into his brain, repeating his lover's birthdate and occupations which he already knew.

He put down a small box, which he bought a few months before his lover's passing.

The box was laid carefully in the center of the flowers. 

He wished he had more time with her. He wished he had the time and courage to pop the question, get down on one knee, and be able to say, 

"I love you, so much."

(the end of 'i love you, so much' )