what is love? pt. 3 (camilo x f!reader)

here is the long awaited part three...

————————————————————

Once again, she was all alone. After putting so much faith and trust into her new friend, it all went downhill.
Why didn't I expect this? I'm such an idiot. I shouldn't get my hopes up anyways. I can't believe I had so much faith in him. She thought, sitting back in her laboratory, laying on the floor.

It had been a few days since Y/N ran away from the Madrigal family. Since then, she didn't eat or do any experiments. She knew she was being overdramatic, but... chances are, the whole town could know.
She didn't care what people thought of her, and always stayed inside her laboratory.
Being alone was nice, but she didn't want people to hate her.

Especially Camilo, one of the only people to show Y/N kindness.

"Y/N? Hey, Y/N! Are you there?" A voice said, from the emergency exit of the laboratory.
"Mirabel?"

Mirabel kicked down the door, cleaning her glasses from the dust that fell onto her.
"What's up, Y/N? How have you been?" She awkwardly laughed, standing by the broken door.

-

"Mirabel... leave me alone..." I begged. There was no way she genuinely wanted to check up on me anyways. She was probably doing it to be nice or trick me.

"I'm not going to do that. I can't let you stay in here for the rest of your life."
"But-"
"No buts. How long has it been since you've slept, or eaten? I brought some food just in case. And some water." Mirabel rambled, taking out a bunch of supplies from her bag.

I watched in shock as Mirabel went on and on about maintaining mental and physical health, wondering if she truly meant it or not.
I hope she was. But I couldn't think of any reason why she would trick me.

"You... don't hate me?"
"Why would I?" Mirabel asked.

"Did you forget... who my family was? Who I am? It's not like you can benefit from being my friend in any way. Why? Why are you nice to me? What did I do to deserve this?" I asked.

"So what if your family sucks? You're very cool, and you don't seem dangerous at all! Plus, I enjoy your company. I don't care that you may have a few issues, and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm here for you! That's what friends are for, anyways. I want to be your friend because I think you're a great person, no matter what you think of yourself. I'm not tricking you. I don't know what made you believe that, and I'm sorry for not coming here earlier, but you are a genuinely good person that deserves happiness."

I teared up at her words. Nobody ever said something so kind to me before.

"Mirabel... I always knew you were crazy."
"Says the mad scientist."

We both laughed. It felt refreshing to finally have a friend on my side again. Even if she may be the only one on my side, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. However...
There was still one other person I missed.

"Mirabel... what has Camilo been up to?" I mumbled.
Mirabel scoffed. "I was waiting for you to ask."

Mirabel filled me in on the situation. Basically, she convinced the other Madrigals that I wasn't like my family at all. It took a while, but they eventually believed her and wanted to apologize to me.

"But what about Camilo?" I asked.
"Oh... right... he's been looking all over for you. He thinks you ran away from town." Mirabel confirmed.

Please don't be lying.

"I want to talk to him." I blurted out.

"You do? Well, I think I know where he is, since he's been looking for you every day."

Then I felt bad. I needed to see him.

"Bring me to him."

-

"Camilo? Is that you?" I called out, going to the place Mirabel told me he would be.

It was a small area in the forest occupied by flowers, little critters running around, and a clear river in the middle of it all. It was one of my favorite places to be, since I had plenty of empty space to observe the wilderness and clear my head. It wasn't too loud nor quiet, hot nor cold, but perfectly comforting. I remember telling Mirabel all about it, wanting to share my little spot with someone. I guess she told Camilo about it, since nobody else has ever been here.

"Y/N? I'm glad you're here." Camilo admitted, looking down at the grass sheepishly. 

We both stood in an awkward silence, afraid to say a word. 

"Listen... I'm sorry. I totally respect it if you don't accept my apology and you want to stay far, far away from me. I fully understand. But I was super worried about you. After Mirabel cleared everything up, I was terrified that I hurt your feelings. I'm sorry, what I did was wrong and I shouldn't have judged you for your last name. You're a pretty cool person, and your family has nothing to do with who you are. I don't expect you to accept my apology, but I just want you to be okay. I hope you've been taking care of yourself, being alone and all. It was a crappy thing to do... leaving you alone. I'm sorry." 

His words made me tear up. I don't fully forgive him yet, but hearing that he cared about me was all I needed to hear after a rough couple of days. He was probably the greatest friend I have had in a while, and when our friendship broke, my heart did as well. Especially because I didn't think of him as 'just' a friend...

"Thank you, Camilo." I whispered, wrapping my arms around him in a hug. 

"Hey... come on, now. No need to get all sentimental. I don't deserve your thanks, I'm just being a decent human being." Camilo chuckled, breaking the hug after a minute. "Let's go back to my family. They owe you an apology too."

I gave him a look.

"Not that I'm shifting the blame! I just... want you to be treated fairly." He laughed, as I elbowed him playfully. 

"Whatever. Besides, you're right. I don't want to be on the negative side of my future in-laws."

"Right! Wait... what?!"

-

After accepting many apologies everything was cleared up with the Madrigals and I wasn't on anybody's bad side. I hope...

Now, I was having dinner once again with the family.

I heard many stories and facts about the family that seemed bizarre, told them more about myself and answered a couple of questions, and more. I was surprised that the family was being so kind to me, after thinking of me as scum a few days ago. 

"Camilo, Y/N, when is the wedding?" Dolores joked, as the rest of the family laughed at how Camilo's face turned redder than a tomato.

"Dolores!" Camilo yelled, ready to sock his sister in the face. 

I laughed along with the family, feeling at peace. Feeling happiness.

And for the first time, I wasn't all alone.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Mrs. L/N? What is this?"

"It's a map. See that village there? That's where my niece is."

(part four coming soon.)