Another Life

|Time|

As I'm finishing tying my hair back, I look up at the mirror and sigh. Nearly ready to head out. I just- Everything about that dream was off. It feels as if I'm missing something. I stare at myself in the mirror, then turn my head to look at the small star earring in my ear. A small memory of my origins- And my brother.

I zone out for a moment, then let out a small sigh as I turn to grab my sword in its scabbard. It still hurt to think about my brother. He had abused me, trapped me in my own dimension, and hurt me; though he wanted to follow in our creator's path... I couldn't blame him for it all though. His morals were in the right place, just not his mind or actions. Quickly strapping my scabbard around my waist, I turn to grab my gift for Sabre and tuck it under my arm then grab my coat and tuck it over the gift.

A dull clang reverberates though the Time dimension and I look up. It's 8:30, I need to get going. I don't usually stay this long in my dimension.

With the memory of the dream stored in the back of my mind, I walk out of my room and into the central rotunda. Gears clicked together and pipes hissed around me as the sound of clocks ticked together, keeping track of my namesake. Another dull clang reverberates through the dimension and I pause for a moment to listen to it's echo. After it faded, I started to move again.

My boots echo on the wooden flooring beneath me as I walk over to my small desk and pick up my journal, a couple of books, and a quill, to place in my satchel that hung on my chair. As much as the Overworld was nice, an occasional break of being able to return here kept me going and rested. I needed a break from the whole business of the Colorless Guard sometimes.

I grab my satchel, then make my way over to the portal of my dimension with the symphony of clocks and gears accompanying my steps. With a quick motion, I slide my mask from the side of my face to the front and step through. Flashes of lightning happen around me as my body feels light for a moment, then I feel the warmth of the morning sun.

A sweet smelling breeze fills my nose as I open my eyes to look at the waking kingdom around me. Everything seems normal. No cores have self-destructed here. I chuckle to myself at my own joke, then start my way to the Rose Sanctuary. M, Assistant, or Professor Red, might not appreciate the joke, but every day I wanted to at least remember one thing from my past, just so I wouldn't forget it. Even if it was in the form of a joke.

I stroll down the streets, looking around at the houses around me. They were decorated with dark oak trim; each having their own unique design on them. Sitting attached to the windows were planters filled with Roses, Poppies, or Red Tulips. Everything was well kept and neatly organized.

"Oh, Lieutenant Time!" A voice calls out and I look around to see a Rose Guard off to the side, just exiting a building that looked like a cartography shop. They wore the typical attire of a city Rose Guard: long sleeved red tunic under a buttoned cloth jacket with a darker colored leather chest support strap, Lightly dyed baggy red leather pants with red mid-shin boots, and leather shoulder guards with arm guards over their jacket. A poppy was tucked behind their ear as they walk over to me.

"Glad to see you are back. I've been meaning to give you this since you were visiting the Red Kingdom along with Captain Light," The Rose Guard quips as they hold out a small dagger. I look at the clock design etched into the handle and take it carefully, impressed by the design. "It's since you helped me train last time you were here. I just didn't want to have you help me out and not get anything back in return."

They rub the back of their neck under their ponytail'd hair and glance up towards the roof of a nearby building. I smile and chuckle. I remember now- the Rose Guard's Trainer had been off taking a rest when I had seen this Rose guard trying to master their dagger fighting. I had stepped in to offer them some pointers and a chance to spar since Light had taught me a few things on how to fight with other weapons. While we were taking a break after sparring, Light had needed me for something, so I guess the Rose Guard never got a chance to properly thank me.

"It was not a problem. I don't mind as much if I don't get thanked for the things I do." I say as I tuck the blade into my satchel at my side. It was true: I didn't mind not getting thanked for things. Mainly because of my amnesia making me forget at times that I even did certain things.

Even if I had practically all my memories back, I occasionally was forgetting huge details that happened after Sabre left. Which... made me wonder if something was actually up with my amnesia.

"Oh, well-" The Rose Guard starts, then nods respectfully to me. "Have a wonderful day Lieutenant Time! I hope you can find a good use for the dagger in the future." They give me a smile, then start to walk down the street in the opposite way I was. I hope I do. I would hate to just have this gift and not put it to use.

I start to walk again, my mind now wandering back to my dream.

Who was that clone? In all my time alive, the only time I've had those golden eyes was when I was allowing Sabre to continue the timeline. So why would they appear in my dream? Were they the representation of my amnesia? No, that would not make logical sense. There had to be something else with it. I was missing something, yet I didn't know what.

Ugh. I was going to drive myself up a wall if I didn't stop. I couldn't work this out at the moment, and trying to speed up my own time state would be a waste of energy. So... maybe I should ask Light about this; just in case he would know, since my mind would get twisted over it at the moment.

I finally reach the mini-plaza opening that encompassed the entrance to the Rose Sanctuary, then make my way to the stairs. The shining sun reflected off of the flags that waved above me, flapping softly in the flowing breeze. I scale the stairs, passing by the Red Steve's banners that hung from their posts on the corners of the landing. I make my way to the door, then shift a bit back in shock as Light opens the door for me.

"Time Steve! Glad to see you're back, I was just about to call you about something." Light has a look of concern on his face as he shifts to let me by. I walk past and glance around to make sure none of the Rose Guard were nearby. Whenever Light wanted to talk to me, he typically wanted to do it away from any guards.

However, a colorless guard stood by with their helmet held at their hip. I recognized them instantly as Grace: One of Light's upcoming Elites. He must have been here to give a report if he took off his helmet and was with Light.

"What's wrong Light? Has something happened with one of the leaders?" I ask, concerned about any possible wars happening among the kingdoms. It was a low chance of actually happening, but you could never be too cautious. Wars could start over anything.

"No. Something else." Light's hesitant tone catches me off guard as he looks over at Grace for a moment, who bites the inside of his cheek, then turns to look back at me.

"Grace just came with a report from a guard of our outpost in the Violet kingdom. I don't know how this is possible... But two non-steves are being held under the watch of the Violet Leader."