Courage

|Grace|

I take a cloth and wipe my face, having just finished cleaning up to be ready for the day.

Should I even check on him? Am I even allowed to? Why'd I get out of bed today...

Thoughts swirl around my mind as I sigh and look down at the now wet cloth in my hands. I had been struggling to leave my room these past four days... Mainly because of the thoughts in my head. But... I was going to try and get out and check on people. I glance up into the mirror in front of me and look at my tired face. I had bags under my eyes as my long hair fell loosely down, framing the look of sadness I felt in my heart.

Is Light even awake...? Is he healed and ok by now...? Am I just having some hyper realistic nightmare?

I groan and lay my arms on the edge of the basin and lay my head on my arms. Why was I self-doubting so much? Light will be fine. I just have to relax... 

With a long sigh, I shift back upright then stare at myself in the mirror again. Slowly, I grab up my hair and hair ribbon. I carefully comb back my hair into its usual style, then tie my hair back. The room suddenly seemed a lot brighter and my face a lot cooler. I guess... a different hairstyle helps open up your view a lot more.

A knock at my door sounds, and I start, having not been expecting it. I quickly turn to the door, then sigh and say, "Come in." With an old creak, the door opens to a familiar face:

Lieutenant Time.

"Grace... Sorry for the intrusion. Guessing you were getting ready for the day? Though... It's rather late for you to be doing it at this time." Lieutenant Time says quietly as he walks in and shuts the door behind him. He was in attire, which made me feel exposed since I wasn't in mine.

"I..." My throat feels tight as I try to speak to explain. But... I couldn't. I didn't know how to explain to Lieutenant how I was having trouble even getting out of bed...

I look down at the ground as I rub my throat, trying to get it to unclose so I could at least breathe. Dull thuds of footsteps on the wooden floor, cross the room to me which makes me look up. Time places his hand on my shoulder as he shifts his mask up off of his face.

"Grace... I can notice enough to see you've been struggling. It's... because of Light, isn't it?" Lieutenant Time's voice is gentle as I look up at his face and notice he had a tired look to him as well. He... He's been having trouble sleeping as well, hasn't he? I stay silent as a wave of tiredness washes over me.

Time sighs, then directs me over to the table and chairs in the corner of my room. I don't resist as I sit down and he sits down across from me.

"... Grace... How long have you been in your room for?" Time asks, his voice barely a murmur.

" Four days... I think. It's been getting hard to count..." I whisper back after a solid minute of having trouble speaking.

My superior across from me sighs, then rubs his neck.

"I don't blame you Grace... It's been hard to believe what happened. Yet... We have the best Green Steves working on healing Light so... We should try and take this time to breathe." He looks down at the table, then back up at me with a sad look in his eyes. I nod gently to show him I understood what he was saying, then rub the bridge of my nose.

I was planning on visiting Light to see how he was doing... So maybe right now was a good time to do so.

"Time... Lieutenant Time I mean- If it wouldn't be a bother, could I visit Light?" I murmur gently and tap on the table a bit. Time looks down at the table a moment, then around to my room. "If I'm being honest Grace, I haven't gone to see him myself either... If it doesn't bother you, may I accompany you?" Lieutenant murmurs as he looks at me again. Silver eyes met mine as I stand up.