{2} A Step in the Right Direction

***

***

Have you ever had that moment when the unexpected happens? That was exactly the problem that Hiromi was facing. She just couldn't believe it. A pro hero, Eraserhead, had ended up asking her if she wanted to go to UA, the top hero school in Japan, after watching her take down Sugimoto. He had also explained while she was stunned into silence that he was willing to recommend her too. That's not the kind of thing that happens to people like her. Ability users weren't even allowed to go to hero schools until a year ago since there had been a lot of complaints about it. The shock that Hiromi had felt kept her from giving Eraserhead an answer. He had to give her his number so she could call him when she made up her mind.

After the encounter, Hiromi started to act unusually. She had gone with the others to the police station and watched as Sergeant Sugimoto was interrogated by Minoura and Ranpo. She remained silent for most of it which had definitely caught the attention of Dazai and Atsushi. Neither of them had commented on it since they were focusing on what had been going on in the interrogation room. It wasn't until they were on the train back to the agency that she was asked about her unusual behavior.

"So what happened, Hiro?" Ranpo had asked her. Upon hearing this question, Hiromi directed her attention to the man. Atsushi and Dazai directed their attention onto her seeing as they were both curious too. She had been fine when taking down Sugimoto, but she had been acting weird when she had come back to them after that.

As Hiromi usually does, she decided to avoid the truth, "Nothing really. I'm just tired from using my ability." She flashed a small smile. Hiromi didn't feel like bothering them with her internal conflict since it wouldn't really be that important to them.

Lying didn't work. Especially not with Ranpo who saw through those things like glass. Ranpo pointed at something that Hiromi held in her hand tightly, "Then what's that?"

The answer would be the number that Eraserhead had given her. She didn't even realize that she had been holding it until he pointed it out. Hiromi thought to herself for a moment. It was impossible to lie to Ranpo and Dazai was always able to read her easily. Lying would probably work with Atsushi since he didn't know her that well yet. A sigh escaped Hiromi as she finally decided to tell them, "It's Eraserhead's number."

It suddenly seemed like a switch flipped inside of Atsushi. His eyes got wide and he was practically sparkling with amazement, "Eraserhead? Do you mean the pro hero Eraserhead?!" His voice rose causing Hiromi's eyes to widen. Her gaze moved to the people around them hoping they hadn't heard what he had said. Thankfully, they were obviously.

"Yes, but don't yell it to the whole train," Hiromi told him. Atsushi calmed down and apologized for being so loud. "He gave it to me after he asked me if I wanted to go to UA on a recommendation."