Chapter 5

("All Italics" is Zen writing a question or response, not actually speaking it.)

"Your master will be here shortly," prince Yuen said calmly, clearly not worried.

Zen opened his eyes slowly and pushed on the man's chest, trying to get back to his unsteady feet. He didn't try to hinder him, but he also didn't bother to help, either.

The intensity of the pain from the flower's roots was already dying down, but it took him another few moments before the room stopped spinning and he could finally straighten up. It was good timing, too, because he heard his master's footsteps approach right as he was comfortable enough to turn and face the open entrance to their pavilion.

"Prince Yuen..." Qi said, an air of authority to the two simply words that Zen was unfamiliar with.

His master was a prince in his own right, but he rarely spoke in such a way. There had never been a need back home, where everyone simply obeyed him because he treated them fairly and never gave him need to raise his voice.

The other prince took his time replying as he relaxed back on the bed, crossing his arms behind his head as a makeshift pillow. "Good evening, your highness," he finally said calmly, clearly seeing no issues with their current situation.

His master offered a hesitant bow, then replied, "prince Yuen, I apologize for not being here to greet you when you arrived, but I had to attend his majesty's dinner invitation."

Prince Yuen chuckled quietly and shrugged one shoulder.

"No worries, Zen has been quite a gracious host."

Glancing back at his master, Zen noticed that he was staring at him instead of the other prince. Remembering his manners, he quickly turned and bowed to Qi, but his master didn't even wait for him to finish showing his gratitude for his return before pulling him tight against him.

"All is well, your highness. I have done nothing but play with my curiosity," prince Yuen said as he slowly sat back up, then stood from the bed.

"I must ask you, though... why do you offer him light spiritual energy, when darkness suits him far greater?"

The hand his master had placed against his side pressed him closer, drawing Zen's attention away from prince Yuen. When he looked up at Qi's expression, he was surprised to see anger. His master didn't get upset often, and it rarely, if ever, showed on his face.

"If you will excuse us, your highness. I believe it is time to wash up before bed," Qi said, completely ignoring the other man's question.

Prince Yuen didn't seem interested in pushing the subject, so he merely shrugged his feathered shoulder and walked to the open doors. There, he stopped and turned, looking at Zen specifically. He would have turned to face the man, and honestly wanted to step in front of his master, just in case, but Qi refused to release him and he would never fight him on how he wished to handle a situation.

"There is a bathing pool out back... do be cautious not to mistake it for the one you have already discovered, though. They aren't as shy when dinner walks right into their home."

With that, prince Yuen grinned, gave a slight bow of his head, then turned to leave.

Zen would have watched him until he was completely out of sight, but his master quickly moved to shut and lock the door, then took his hand and tugged him into his larger room. He was then guided over to the bed and told to sit, which he had no qualms about doing. He was quite tired after his previous ordeal.

"Look up at me, please," Qi said, drawing Zen's attention up to his face as a warm hand settled beneath his chin to help lift it a little more.

The man immediately went for the flower, making Zen unintentionally flinch away. He was worried that Qi might have figured out what had happened, but then again, he always seemed to know, anyways.