Chapter 21

(This was one heck of a chapter to pull together lol)

His blade hummed in his hand as he straightened up from his crouch beside the now-dark pool of water. The creature's faint purple glow had transferred to a reflection in his sword, but no other feature gave away that his blade was now possessed.

Master would surely disapprove of my actions, but I cannot simply leave a part of myself here.

He still wasn't exactly sure how him and Xisheng could be related to each other, but there was no denying the pull the little spirit had on him.

Let us be off, little one. We must go find our master.

His weapon pulsed as he began to walk, making him glance down at where its hilt rested in his grip.

I do not suppose that you know a way out of this place?

The blade quieted, settling its movements until it seemed like an ordinary sword.

It is alright. You have been locked up for so long. I did not expect you to have many answers.

He sheathed it, since it seemed like its intention was to rest, then continued onward on foot. He'd intended to bring his horse at first, but if he, himself, was the true target now, riding through the streets on one of their royal steeds would surely give him away.

His feet took him to many different chambers, but one after the other ended at a wall of vines that refused to even consider his request for passage up to the surface.

I feel as if I am just wasting time.

Staring up into the darkness, Zen narrowed his eyes on the vines slowly meandering about the ceiling. They only obeyed prince Yuen...

But I have part of him within me... you should obey my orders as well.

He stared down at the damp ground beneath his feet and tried to think of a way to get the vines to listen to him. The ground shifted the slightest amount under the thick layers of moss as he stood there. It was a feeling he was getting used to after having walked for so long, and yet...

Withdrawing his sword, Zen slowly knelt down and carefully began cutting into the thick vegetation. After having only removed a few inches of it, he made a discovery that had his eyes widening with hope.

Vines.

They not only grew on the ceiling and walls. They also lay interwoven beneath the walkways and caverns, too. Getting onto his knees, Zen lifted his blade, angled it downward, then thrust it deep into the mass of vines.

He expected the vegetation to retreat, injured from the strike, but what he didn't expect were the jolts of purple lightning that shot from his sword that seemed to fuse, then spread beneath the mossy ground.

What's happening? Xisheng?

His eyes jerked upward as glowing purple veins began climbing the walls around him, drawing Zen to his feet. As the light started to spread into the ceiling he saw the illuminated vines thrash and writhe as they were slowly consumed by the spirit.

The creature's piercing screams began echoing around him as it wrestled the enchanted flora into submission.

Stop Zen!

The abrupt shout inside his mind was loud enough to make him hunch over and grasp his head.

Huang...

He felt the man's frustration through their bond but he could tell that he was not close enough to be able to appear before him yet.

You must stop!