Chapter 25

How dare you attack my master!

Zen embraced the anger from the spirit in his blade as the wall before them finally began to crumble. He'd felt Qi suffering through their bond and wasted no more time in seeking him out. Prince Yuen stayed right on his heels as they'd darted through the remaining streets and onto the palace grounds, using small curses here and there to trap anyone who dared try and get in their way. 

When they stepped through the opening, curtained by falling dust, he was surprised to see Lee Shaan standing before him. 

"The young guard," the larger man said, seemingly confused. 

Qi was a few steps away from him, looking just as unsure as Lee Shaan. He snapped out of it quicker, however, and ran forward, wrapping his arms around Zen the second he got close enough. Since the initial danger seemed to have passed, Zen let the possessed blade slip from his fingers, then returned his master's hug with a sigh of relief. 

"I'm so glad that you're well, my Zen," Qi whispered as he pressed a kiss to the side of his head. 

He heard prince Yuen step a few feet in front of them as they embraced, but Zen couldn't see since he had his face tucked against his master's robe, and he truly did not wish to ever move again. 

I am so sorry that you have had to face dangers alone. I will never leave your side again. I am your sword for life. 

"I'm afraid that we have more pressing matters than a reunion to attend to," prince Yuen said. 

Zen straightened and wiped a stray tear from his eye as his master released him to return his attention Lee Shaan, then stepped up beside his master, right where he should be. 

"Lord Lee Shaan, I apologize for our altercation, but I must leave now," Qi said as he gave the man a respectful bow.

Unfortunately, when he straightened, the man's eyes were no longer on him. They were narrowed dangerously upon prince Yuen. 

"Do you not know who stands at your side, your highness? That man is responsible for destroying so many lives. He is the fake king of Han's right hand of death... and the one who caused you to lose your memories all those years ago." 

He knew? But he never mentioned anything all those years we had visited for peace talks...

"Things would have been easier if that information was never shared, but there is no way around it any longer. Your highness, the man beside you is your greatest enemy," Lee Shaan said, making Zen look between his master and prince Yuen. 

They did know that he was a murderer and there was a lot that they needed to discuss after their current situation was resolved, but he was no longer worried about standing beside the man. He had proved himself an ally. 

Qi looked taken aback, but he quelled his nerves quickly, as he always did, before straightening his shoulders and raising his head the slightest amount. 

"It seems that there is quite a lot going on that I was never partial to. I would appreciate it if we could discuss this situation without our weapons," he said, then looked toward prince Yuen, who had stepped farther ahead of them and slightly in front, clearly ready to defend them both. "I do understand that this man has a great amount of blood on his hands, but he has saved both of us several times, and while I absolutely do not agree with his former practices, I cannot overlook the aid he has provided for myself and my Zen," he added. 

Lee Shaan was silent for several long moments as he contemplated his master's words. Zen wished for them to turn and run while the man was lost in thought, but he would not act without his master's approval any longer. He did, however, kneel down and retrieve his blade, then sheath it immediately before returning to his full height.