Chapter 37

(This chapter took so much thinking XD So tired. Had to get Pepper a new bed just so that she would brainstorm with me.)

Feeling someone shake his shoulder slowly pulled Zen out of his deep sleep. He awoke over the span of a few minutes, but when his eyes still didn't open, he felt warm lips press against his forehead. 

"Time to get up, my Zen." 

He was reluctant. It had been such a long time since he'd been able to rest so well. 

"We will have many more calm days in our future, sweet one, but today we must be strong," Qi said as his fingers began sifting through Zen's long hair. 

He let himself have just one more minute before finally tilting his head up and looking into his master's warm eyes. 

I will protect this person forever. 

"Ready to go?" Lee Shaan called from across the small clearing, drawing Zen's attention for a brief moment before he hurried to his feet, then helped his master up, too. 

"Thank you, Zen," Qi said politely as he fastened his sword at his waist, then did the same for Zen and his blade. 

They both started heading over to where Lee Shaan and Huang were waiting when Zen paused for a moment and reached up to feel his empty robe. 

Xisheng? 

Frowning, he turned in a circle, but couldn't find any trace of the little cat. He was just about to tell his master when he felt his blade vibrate slightly against his side, drawing his attention down to it. 

Ah, you were resting inside. I apologize for disturbing you, I was just worried that you might have wandered off. 

Reassured, they finished their short walk back to their comrades, then waited silently as they discussed their next move. Evidently, they all agreed that they needed to remove the current false emperor of Han, but that was just the simple part of the plan. They were probably going to have to split up in order to safely enter the palace grounds. Zen and Qi would enter from the front while Huang and Lee Shaan would take one of his lair's tunnels and end up closer to the back. 

They continued discussing the details as they set out. It took less than half an hour for them to exit the forest, and thankfully, there were only a few sparse, unassuming guards that were easy enough to sneak past. It took them nearly two days to make it to the outskirts of the capitol, the distance much farther since they had decided not to use Huang's lair to travel just yet. His father could still force his way into it, and even though they did plan to use it later, it would only be the two curse masters who would descend, since their abilities would help them stay hidden if others happened to be patrolling down below. 

Lee Shaan guided them to the back of a little home a few streets into the city. He'd made Qi cast his invisibility spell on himself and Huang used some of his dark magic to change his facial features. It was a simple trick that wouldn't fool the stronger opponents they planned to face soon, but simple guards and everyday people would have no idea that there were two wanted princes walking about their quiet town. 

The man who owned the home was a retired farmer who could barely walk even with the assistance of a cane. His handicap didn't hold him back from hobbling right up to Lee Shaan and reaching up with his frail little arms for a hug, though. The much larger man gladly hunched over until he could tug the elderly man into his arms, too. 

"Hello, grandfather. I'm sorry it took me so long to come visit this time," Lee Shaan said as he carefully released the man, but kept his large hands on his shoulders to make sure that he had his balance well enough before letting go completely.