Chapter 24

(I'm so proud of Qi hehe) 

"My apologies, your highness," Lee Shaan said as he sent a shock of frigid tendrils along Qi's back. 

He knew the curse well from his studies, and he was ready. Qi focused on his own spiritual energy, taking a tiny fraction from it to activate his own ability in response. His power waited just beneath the surface, tracing the man's own spell as it moved atop his skin. The moment his ability found his chakra points and began slipping into them, Qi unleashed his own energy, sending the man flying backwards several yards with a startled grunt. 

Qi was also pushed backwards, but not nearly as much, allowing him to calmly land on his feet and look up at the man that was now halfway across the room from him. Lee Shaan's freezing technique was what Qi had anticipated he'd use. He rarely started off a fight aggressively, unless he knew that his opponent wouldn't hesitate to take his head. If he could freeze his opponents chakra points, the majority of the battle would already be over. 

"You have definitely grown well," Lee Shaan said as he straightened, then adjusted one of his pelts that had been thrown askew from Qi's reflective barrier. 

"I beg your pardon for that attack, but I cannot remain here," Qi said with a respectful nod, truly wishing to end the conflict peacefully. 

 His opponent chuckled and walked forward, making Qi hesitantly reach for the sword at his waist. He rarely ever drew the thing, as he had his own guard who was more than enough to deter most, but he wasn't removing the weapon to threaten Lee Shaan. In fact, it was to do the complete opposite. He drew it to its full length, then let his arm slowly settle down by his side. The tip of the blade was only a few inches from touching the floor as he met the eyes of the man approaching him. 

The weapon had different words etched into it, each rune a truly powerful asset to its wielder if they understood how to use them correctly. He tilted it gently to catch a ray of light that was coming in from a high window, making the man hesitate in his steps, then stop completely as he let out a frustrated breath. 

"Your highness..." Lee Shaan warned, but didn't draw his own large blade from its scabbard. 

Qi kept his weapon pointed toward the floor as he replied calmly. 

"I cannot return with you, lord Lee Shaan. I do hope that our former relationship can remain as it once was, and this situation can be forgotten with time," he said, knowing that his words were unlikely to change the man's mind, but unwilling to stop trying. He was not one who ever wished to draw blood. 

The larger man withdrew a small dagger from a decorative leather sheath at his belt, still choosing to leave his larger weapon within its holder. He flipped it in his hand a few times, allowing it, too, to catch the light. 

That is the blade I gifted him during our first meeting...

It was also carved with intricate rune marks, allowing the wielder to deal damage not to flesh, but to one's energy. The man intended to drain him so that he could not resist.

I will not allow it. 

Qi assumed a fighting stance, finally lifting his weapon to settle at shoulder height, pointing it straight toward the other man as its flat side rested against his outstretched palm. 

"For what I am about to do, I will spend my life apologizing to your highness," Lee Shaan said as he flipped the dagger in his hand one more time, then charged with a powerful yell. 

Qi whispered a quick spell in response, preparing for their initial clash. The runes near the base of his blade glowed a faint pink as he lunged forward, meeting Lee Shaan's weapon with his own. The abrupt burst of wind that happened when both blades met took even Qi by surprise, sending him skidding backwards as he was turned sideways and forced to drop to one knee to try and mitigate some of the force.