Chapter 27

His master was clearly exhausted. It was rare that Qi struggled in any situation, so when he'd arrived to see his master already fatigued, he knew that he'd need time to recover after they managed to escape.

After several hours of walking, they'd finally settled in Zhiming forest at the base of a massive fir tree. Time passed in grateful silence since then, but as it did so, Zen grew more and more worried. His master would normally settle into a meditative state and focus inwardly for hours on end to recover spiritual energy, yet the man had not allowed him to move from where he'd settled him into his lap when they'd first stopped. There was no way he'd be able to focus well enough with him there. 

He'd tried to move after an hour of silence, but Qi had wrapped his arms around him snuggly and refused to budge them an inch, making Zen settle back down against his master in slight confusion. He didn't mind remaining with the man, at all, but his instincts and training told him to go find water for his master, and also to scope out the area.

So, when three hours had passed and his master seemed to have calmed further, he tried again. Except, this time Qi lifted the hand he had settled against Zen's back in response, but instead of releasing him to go about his job, he settled it against the back of his head and pressed gently forward until Zen had his chin settled on his master's warm shoulder, his nose nuzzled into the crook of his neck.

He truly did not understand the situation at all. There were so many things he could have been doing to help aid Qi, yet the man refused to let him out of his arms, let alone out of his sight.

I suppose everything will just have to wait. If master wishes for me to remain here, I will stop trying to leave.

Resolved to settle, though his mind still wasn't too understanding, Zen got a little more comfortable, then took in a few deep, calming breaths of his own. He focused on matching Qi's breathing tempo and soon found himself drifting in and out of sleep.

Each time he opened his eyes he was greeted with the sensation of his master's fingers gently sifting through his long, messy hair. He really should have fixed it, but Qi hadn't let him have that much freedom, and if his master didn't wish it, then he would just let it be.

He was just about to drift off again when he heard Qi whisper something against his hair softly. Unfortunately, the forest, while calm for the time being, had plenty of animals and birds moving about, making just enough noise around them to have blocked his master's words from his ears.

When the man didn't say anything else, Zen reached his hand between where their bodies pressed together and gently tapped his master's chest. Qi was slow to respond, but he could tell that he understood his request to talk, because his arms tightened the slightest amount around him, then hesitantly loosened until Zen was able to lean back enough to look his master in the eyes.

Zen's own eyes widened when he saw the tear tracks upon his master's face that had washed away the dust and dirt from their abrupt escape in several scattered lines. One fresh tear threatened to follow its predecessors, but Zen reached up just in time to gently brushed it away with his finger.

I am so sorry... about everything.

As if hearing his words, Qi let a tired smile find its way onto his lips.

"There is nothing to be sorry for, my Zen. We all did our best with our individual situations," Qi said, not bothering to hide the sadness from his voice.

"I pray that his highness is still alive, but there is nothing I can currently do about it, and I refuse to allow you to try at this time."

Refuse?