Chapter 20

Once the curse had settled within his body prince Yuen had returned to guiding them through his lair in companionable silence. They followed him for a while longer before Zen noticed vines beginning to drift downward from the ceiling. His attention returned to prince Yuen as he watched the man tug his hood up and over his head, covering his face. The tendrils of vines carefully wound their way around Feng, then began to lift them both toward the dark ceiling of the cavern. 

"Be sure to dismount Kongqi before allowing the vines to grab you. I'll run as a decoy on Zen's horse so that you two have a better chance of getting away. Your horse will be fine down here until we can retrieve him," he said before disappearing above their heads with Feng. 

Qi was already dismounting in front of him, making Zen hurry to swing his leg over the horse once his master was down. To his surprise, Qi easily caught him before his feet even hit the ground, then settled him on the mossy floor before tugging him into a tight hug. 

"Be safe, my Zen. Your life is my life, but my life would not be complete without my sweet guard by my side," he said before rustling Zen's hair, then fixing his hood over it once more. 

Zen felt his heartbeat, which had already been erratic from the nerves of what they were about to do, beat harder against his ribs. He wanted to write to his master, though he was unsure of what words to use. His chance, unfortunately, was taken away when the vines that had carried the other prince away slowly drifted downward to wrap around his master's waist and upper body. 

"I suppose it is time to go," Qi said as he adjusted his own hood with a small smile. 

Zen took a hesitant step back, ready to be carried off, too. Except... as his master began to rise, nothing came for him. 

Master? 

"I apologize, my Zen, but I can't let you get hurt. I promise I will come back for you soon," Qi said, his eyes showing just how much he regretted tricking him. 

But master, you said that you didn't want me to stay down here. I can help you and keep myself safe! I would never risk your life!

Zen blinked back tears and hurried toward a wall, channeling some of the power from the talisman at his waist as he did so. He managed to get halfway up the wall, needing only a few more steps to reach his master... but then his spiritual energy abruptly ran out, making his shoes slip on the damp wall before he fell back down to the spongy moss floor. 

Stunned and confused, Zen slowly rolled over and pushed himself up onto his hands and knees. 

Where did it go? His highness had said that he'd recently refilled it and not to waste it...

Jumping back to his feet, Zen lifted his eyes to the ceiling, but his master was already gone. 

Wait... he had grabbed my belt earlier before he had cursed me. Yuen Huang, how dare you trick me at such a time! 

He rarely got angry at anything, but to say that he was enraged was an understatement. 

And master... somehow you knew. You left me here when I have forever walked beside you. 

Refusing to blink back his tears any longer, Zen let them flow as he finally turned his gaze away from the dark ceiling of the cave and ran over to Kongqi. He easily mounted it in a rush, then kicked its sides to make it immediately dart back into the tunnel they had come from. 

There must be a way out of here that is not reliant on prince Yuen's magic. 

His eyes narrowed as his horse leaped over the length of water they had nervously waded through earlier. A shrill scream echoed around the area as the horse landed, but it simply continued running.