Chapter Fourteen

"Guys, I think I owe you an explanation." Sophie confessed. 

"About why you left or why you came back?" Dex asked. 

"Why I came back." Sophie answered.

"It's because of me, isn't it?" Keefe grinned. "I was too irresistible, right?"

Sophie rolled her eyes as Fitz glared at Keefe. 

"Tam, remember that time when you levitated in San Diego?" Sophie started. Tam nodded.

"Wait, it's because of Bangs Boy? I never would have guessed." Keefe said, surprised. Sophie ignored him. 

"The humans were crazy over you. Like seriously, everyone wanted to be your boyfriend." Sophie winked at Tam. "Anyway, not long after that, humans started getting these... visions. About us. The elves."

"Woah, the secret's out, I guess. We're not mysterious hidden creatures anymore! Does that mean I get to go out and show everyone my handsomeness to let people swoon over better things than Bangs Boy?" Keefe asked. 

"Keefe, please, shut up." Fitz said. Keefe sighed.

"And..." Sophie continued. "They think we're going to attack them, so they're preparing for battle."

Silence. "Wait, war?" Linh whispered.

"Yeah." Sophie said. "We don't have to fight, you know. We just need to prove them wrong about us. Or make them forget."

"So, what you're telling me is," Keefe said slowly, "you didn't come back for me."

"Keefe, of course not. Give up." Fitz growled. 

"Like I would ever listen to you or your dad." Keefe said, glancing at Biana. "I'm making my own choices."

Fitz stood up. "Fine. Fine. Do it however you want. One day you're gonna look back and realize I was right, and you never should have interfered. I'm helping you, Keefe. I'm helping you not get hurt because trust me, it is going to happen."

"Uh, so, anyway," Sophie said, "we've got to do something. Dex, I was thinking maybe you can build a gadget that rewinds things that happened, but-"

"It's impossible. The whole human population saw the vision, and I can't just take it back." Dex put an end to the plan. 

"Right." Sophie mumbled. 

"This is so fun!" Biana cheered. "It reminds me of those times when we were fighting the Neverseen."

"Yeah, that was epic!" Dex agreed. 

Linh yawned. "I think I'm going to bed now. Good night, guys."

Wylie chased her out. Tam quickly followed. 

"Aw, already?" Biana pouted as Dex and Marella excused themselves too. 

Only the four remained.

Cue the awkward silence. 

"So, Biana," Sophie said, "do you have any boyfriends?"

"Yeah, his name is Dalin." Biana said, glancing at her brother. "Really cute."

"Sweet! How long?" Sophie asked. 

"About a year. He asked me out. It was soooo romantic." Biana giggled. 

"Can you guys stop talking about this? Listening to my sister's love life makes me sick." Fitz grumbled. 

Biana rolled her eyes. "That's because you have as much experience as a ten-year-old."