Chapter Twenty-Three

Sophie's hands were shrinking — fast. 

"Totally forgot there were revealing charms here." Natt grumbled. 

They had to get out of this place before the Council unfroze from the shock that Emery once had a wife.

By the name of Veta.

Speaking of which, Veta, meanwhile, was smiling as if nothing had ever gone wrong. "Darling, are you alright?" She asked, and if Sophie didn't know better, she would've thought Veta was concerned.

Emery had gone as pale as the moon. "Why- y-you-"

"WHAT IN THE WORLD?" Bronte shouted, bolting up. "You, the person who was least supportive of Councilors having a family... Divorced?! Explain yourself!"

Emery glared at Veta before facing Bronte. "I don't know what lie she is saying, but her information is, I believe, faulty."

His voice was soft, innocent -- like the calm before the waves. But Bronte didn't seem to be affected by the lie as he. "Divorced and a liar! What else have you got to say?"

"Nothing. Nothing except that you need time to calm down." Emery told him. "I think, if we all get a little break, we'll reconsider our train of thoughts."

Bronte looked infuriated. "How dare you talk to a Councilor like that? Oh yes, Emery, unless you give us a valid reason on why you kept this a secret for so long, I suggest you go into hiding."

Sophie wondered if Emery would tell him about the Forgotten Abilities, and if Veta cared. After all, the reason why Emery banished his wife was because of the new element of abilities he felt threatened by.

Emery went red, also trying to calculate the pros and cons of telling the secret.

Then, the door banged open, and several goblins and guards rushed in. They all looked panicked. Their eyes scanned the room until it landed on Sophie. The eyes widened.

"I-I can't believe it!" One of them said. "Sophie Foster — In the Sumn!"

The Councilors turned to stare at Sophie. Their mouths were open, flabbergasted. Only Emery seemed pleased by the situation.

"Okay, Bronte, I'll tell you why. It's all because of her and the powers she possesses. After what we saw she was capable of, you wouldn't doubt your fellow Councilors words, would you? I repeat: she messed with our brains using the weird, creepy one she has. I'm sure young Ms. Veta there was possessed too into thinking that she is my ex-wife."

Sophie almost laughed at how ridiculous his lie was, but the stupid Councilors believed him.

"Guards, capture Sophie Elizabeth Foster. No trial needed. Same goes for her two partners." Emery ordered, a sly grin on his face.

Veta sighed. "I was hoping it wouldn't get to this. You Councilors are a lot more stupid than I thought."

She transmitted a picture of an orb to Sophie. Conjure this, Sophie.

Sophie did as she was told and handed the mysterious object to Veta.

"This," she said, holding up the object. "Is the hidden secret that explains the real reason why he banished me."

"Pfft, she's talking nonsense." Emery chided. "Han, what in the world are you doing there, just standing uselessly?"

Han was a bulky man with hair so thick that you could only see his eyes and mouth. He was the person who was told to capture Sophie.