Chapter Sixteen

Sophie stood paralyzed. 

Before, it was only Emery and Alina. Now, the whole Council? 

"What?" Fitz asked, standing protectively in front of Sophie.

"Oh, so she didn't tell you?" Alina sneered. "Trying to look innocent, I see."

Biana was staring at Sophie, her eyes wide. "Soph... What the hell is this woman talking about?"

Sophie didn't know what to say. The truth was the truth, after all. Nothing she said, nothing she did, would change it. 

"She is a murderer." Emery stated, clearly pleased with himself by the look on his face. "Therefore, no matter who she is, she must be taken away. And who was talking about a war right now? Huh? She's manipulating you all."

Sophie didn't know what was going on. She deserved it, of course. But the Council didn't know the truth. "I didn't kill her. It..." wasn't an accident. Then what was it?

The Council chose to ignore this. 

And so did her friends. Fitz even shot Sophie a dirty, disgusted look. 

"Miss. Foster, do you want us to tell them, or do you want to?" Derek asked. His eyes were ablaze with anger and disbelief. 

Sophie had gone mute. She was an elf statue. No. No. 

But it was still her fault. 

The golden hair falling, falling, falling... 

Laying on the ground, moving softly. 

"Keep fighting for the things you love. I... I'll be with you, maybe not in person, but in heart."

"Do it, Sophie."

The blue eyes pleading. 

Begging. 

Piercing Sophie's heart.

One life gone in a second. 

When sound returned to her ears, her friends were gaping at her, some even backing away. Their eyes were blank with shock and exasperation.

The Council seemed pleased with their work. They told them. Her friends. 

"Sophie, why- how could you?" Linh asked, her chin wobbling. 

"We trusted you!"

"All these years... and you were a murderer?"

"This was the reason you left, wasn't it? Because you were hiding from us? Screw it, this whole human thing is a lie, huh? To make us believe in you, the worst leader, the wrong, the murdering..."

Each comment broke Sophie's heart, piece by piece. And the worst thing was, Sophie didn't know what to say to them. 

"She wanted me to-" She started desperately.

Shrieks of laughter filled the place. "She wanted you to kill her. Yeah, duh. We never would have guessed." The group chuckled softly. "Sophie Lying Foster, you are so messed up I don't even know."

"Guys, just let me explain-"

"I don't think there is anything to explain." Emery smiled an eerily calm smile. "You're off to Exile in a minute. Any goodbyes you want to say? Any hugs and kisses to your friends?"

Sophie made herself look at her friends again. "This will be your last time for eternity." Emary told her. 

Biana had tears running down her face.