Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I volunteer." Sophie said immediately. 

"No you won't." Fitz cut in. 

"Cuz I will." Keefe chimed in.

"No, me!" Biana shouted. 

"The only one who will be giving up their life is me." Tam muttered, rolling his eyes. 

"Will you all shut up?" Veta said. "Wow, I didn't know how you all were so eager to kill yourselves." 

"It's called sacrificing yourself for a good cause. Sacrifice and killing is not equal." Sophie explained. 

"Doesn't change the fact that you're dying." Fitz argued. 

"Guys, be quiet. Even if you all volunteer, what about the humans?"

"There are many people dying each day. Isn't that enough?" Keefe asked. 

"I suppose that's how you could think, but they would need to know what this is for in order to make this work. Consciousness and understanding is the key to this mission." Veta explained. 

Sophie sighed. "So are you telling us that we should find the woman?"

Veta nodded. "Yes. It's time I met my dear sister again."

    .....................................................................................................

Even after that rather  statement, it proved difficult to find the sister. They even went to the elementary school just to see traces, but no Goblin or Ogre could smell the wolf. 

"Heck, we should give up and look at the sacrifices." Keefe said, scoffing. "Just the humans, though, cuz we all know who's going to be the elf sacrifice." Sophie glared at him, and he smirked back. "Foster, we all know you love me, but it's fine. I'm fine being the sacrifice."

Well, maybe I'm not. "I know you are. But will you stop talking about this when we're trying to make the other one work?"

He shrugged. "Fine, do it your way and spend, like, another couple months finding nothing." 

"Shut up, Keefe." Fitz muttered. "We're making good progress."

"If this is your definition of a 'good progress,' then I think you should sort out your dictionary." Keefe snapped back. 

"Stop bickering!" Biana hissed. "And get your filthy asses up here!"

They followed her up the path, where there was an open round clearing with a forest surrounding it. And they were surprised to see footprints on the snow. By the look on Veta's face, it was her sister's footprints. 

"Do we follow it now?" Linh asked. 

"That would be the best solution," Veta whispered, "But my sister is sneaky. This could be a trap."

"Only one way to find out, right?" Eve laughed, jogging along the footprints. They all stared after her. Within a minute, they heard a scream. 

"Foolish Evexanda." Veta rolled her eyes, running over to where the scream was and disappearing into the woods. 

Then, another one echoed through the area, but this time, it was from the opposite side. 

Then another from the right side. 

Another from the left.

And another, and another...

"Let's split up, you guys." Sophie said. "Linh and Tam, go to the North. Biana and Fitz, South. Dex and Marella, East. Keefe, come West with me."