Chapter Thirty-Three

Sophie hung out with her daughter and contemplated on the Elf-Human dilemma for another week until she was called over to Aquaglint.

Charlotte decided to tag along on this meeting, saying that she didn't want to be separated from Sophie anymore.

"Hey Linh!" Sophie greeted when she spotted her friend waiting anxiously by the door. Linh's face immediately lit up when she spotted Sophie.

"Everyone else is already inside... I was starting to worry that you wouldn't come."

"Sorry." Sophie said hastily before following Linh inside her house.

Her face turned impassive again and unreadable as she led Sophie into her house.

Her friends all had an unexplainable expression on their faces, and only a few offered Sophie a quick, tiny smile when she waved. Keefe was not amongst them, and he immediately looked away when their eyes met. Could he possibly be regretting what he had done a week ago? She had not met him since, so it was definitely a possibility that he had changed his mind about her — if, of course, he had felt something for her in the first place.

Charlotte, oblivious to anything, giggled when she saw everyone and ran over to Keefe. His eyes softened when he looked at her and placed her easily onto his lap.

"So... what's up?" Sophie said awkwardly, breaking the silence.

"It was confirmed this morning that the humans have breached the protection and have somehow figured out the entrance to our world." Mr. Forkle informed them.

Looking at the unsurprised looks on her friends' faces, Sophie figured out that they already found out about it before she came.

"What do you mean?" Sophie couldn't help but ask. A part of her kept telling her that this was bound to happen, because after all, things had to get worse before it got better. But the other part of her was surprised nonetheless. It wasn't like she had underestimated what humans were capable of, but to think that the elves and humans were literally on the verge of war put her on edge.

"Exactly as it sounds." Veta whispered. "It is only a matter of time before they start bombing us."

"Argh, shtupid humans!" Charlotte yelled, and Keefe chocked back a laugh.

As did everybody else.

"So... what are we gonna do?" Biana asked. "It doesn't seem possible to stop the oncoming war now at this point."

"We do what we always have done." Mr. Forkle said, and although he looked tired, his voice held steady and a look of determination crossed his face. "Face the battle full-on."

Sophie gaped at him. "But we can't harm the humans! They're acting on false information."

"If my sister hadn't..." Veta muttered. She cleared her throat "We've got to battle on, for what else can we do? Let the humans burn us and our city down?"

"Well, no, of course not, but..." Sophie trailed off, at a loss of words. "Can I at least go where they came in? For investigating purposes?"

Mr. Forkle sighed. "I was afraid you would ask that. But it is dangerous, Miss. Foster. The humans, despite the false orders they're acting on, are quite determined. It would take a lot to stop them."

"I never said I want to go to stop them. It's just investigation. What harm can it cause?" Sophie argued as Charlotte slid off from Keefe's lap and walked over to Sophie.

Mr. Forkle sighed. "I'm not sure if you are aware that you often get carried away. I think that perhaps this would be one of those times, so I advise you go with someone, you are actually going."