Chapter Thirty-Four

"Yes, that's possible," Veta said slowly, "but how are you going to explain where they are? I mean, even if you got them to forget, they will still be here in the Lost Cities. Looking at us Elves."

Sophie considered this for a moment, sure that she had hit a wall.

But Keefe jumped in. "We can lure them out into the Forbidden Cities, and we could all dress like humans so they wouldn't notice us when they forget about elves." 

"How are we going to lure them out?" one of the Councilors said.

Tam shrugged. "Sometimes, we just gotta see how some things shake out."

"But..." The Councilors seemed ready for a full debate, but they didn't have the time for it. 

"We have to go, it's only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose." Biana said, racing to her room to change to human clothes. 

"But, Miss. Foster," Veta said, narrowing her eyes when everyone cleared away except for Keefe, Sophie, and Charlotte -- they were already wearing human clothes. "You know how the system works. My sister is dead, the only way we can make them forget is by sacrificing one of us and one of them."

Sophie knew that. And she knew what she had to do. Keefe turned to her with wide eyes. "Woah, back the T-Rex up. Don't tell me you're gonna do what I think you're doing."

Sophie shot him an innocent look. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Keefe glanced at Veta (who was trying to talk Charlotte out from coming) before pulling Sophie over to a quiet corner and placing his hands on her shoulders. "Listen, I will not let you sacrifice yourself."

"Let me?" Sophie laughed. "Please, Keefe, I can make my own decisions. Besides, I would be happy to die for something like this. You guys are all going to move on without me, you know that."

"What about me?" Keefe's voice was hoarse, and he gently shook Sophie. "What about me, Foster? What would I be without you?"

Sophie felt her eyes start to water, but she blinked them away. "You're the strongest person I know, Keefe. You'd be fine. You were fine before I came to the Lost Cities."

Keefe closed his eyes and shook his head horizontally many times. "No. No. Foster, I'll do it. It should be me."

"No, Keefe!" Sophie couldn't stop the tears. "You've got a life to live! You've got to live and make wonderful changes in this world. You're an Emissary, for heaven's sake! Look, I was always an outcast. Maybe doing this would make them think of me as someone better."

"They already know, Foster. They know how wonderful and amazing you are. God, you're the best thing that has happened to them -- to me."

Keefe beat her to wiping her tears away. "Keefe, I don't want to. But I'd rather do it myself than let anyone else do it. I know it's selfish." Keefe barked out a laugh at that. "But Keefe, please. It's better if it's me."

"What's better about it, huh? Nothing! Damn right, nothing!" Keefe's tone was angry -- hard. His ice blue eyes met hers, and oh boy, it reminded her of all the things they have done together. The first time they talked in Foxfire. Sleeping in the same bed together -- although it was by accident -- for the first time after a Foxfire Graduation party. Clinging onto each other as if there was nothing else. "I love you, Sophie. I can't let someone I love go! Okay? You're the first one I love, actually with my whole heart."

Sophie was about to reply when the rest of them had to come back, all in human clothes. Fitz cleared his throat, shooting Keefe an annoyed look. "God, Keefe, you made Sophie cry."