Chapter Twenty-Four

"Alright, quiet down, quiet down." Bronte said.

Half of the Council had held a trial for Sophie, while the other half started planning what to do about the human situation. Veta, who was a close friend of Sophie's, was told to work on the human situation, because everyone thought she would be voting based on favoritism rather than the facts laid down. So now, the only people Sophie knew who was participating in her trial was Bronte... And Alina. 

Her family and friends had shown up too, all with guilty looks on their faces. Also, literally the whole Elvin population had come too. Geez, glad that killing someone and getting punished for it was so entertaining to them all.

Charlotte beamed when she saw Sophie, and tried to run to meet her, but Keefe (who, for once, had an unreadable straight face) held her back.

Fitz refused to meet Sophie's eyes.

Grady and Edaline looked tired with black bags under their eyes.

Biana's eyes were wet, and she was crying into a guy's shoulder.

Linh was grabbing on to Wylie's hand, a look of determination on her face.

Dex and Marella were talking quietly to each other.

Tam held the auburn girl's hand, and she whispered something to him. He smiled.

CAUTION! CAUTION! THIS IS NOT TIANA! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! BIANA AND TAM ARE BOTH DATING SOMEONE ELSE! AAAAH!!

Sophie's mind was in a mess. But they both seemed happy... Nope, not Biana, she was crying, but they both seemed comfortable with each other. And Sophie couldn't ask for more.

BUT STILL-

Shut up.

I DON'T WANT TO!

Don't be so immature. See? They're both happy.

I KNOW TRUE LOVE WHEN I SEE IT!!! AND TIANA WAS BOUND TO SAIL!

Come on... They're sitting as far away as possible. And you still call it true love.

NOT RIGHT NOW, MAYBE, BUT THEY ARE MADE FOR EACH OTHE-

"So, Ms. Foster, what do you have to say in your defense?"

"Well, Tam and the nice lady over there do seem nice, but I still think he and Bia-" What in the world was she talking about? This was her trial, not some ship-making class. Besides, they seemed to hate each other right now. Stupid Sophie. "Er, sorry."

She heard Alina cackle. 

She felt her cheeks flame up. She was stupid. So, so, so stupid.

"You can still answer, you know." Bronte seemed amused.

"Okay. Right." Was she willing to tell the story? Was she brave enough to relive the moment?

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

But this was her chance -- maybe even her last one.

She took in a breath. "That day, when the Neverseen attacked..."

....................................................................................................

Sophie let only a few tears slip loose.

...That would be a lie.

So, fine, she cried. A little bit.

...A lie again.

Okaaaay. She cried.

...Getting closer.

She cried her eyes out. Literally. Like the shaking, unstoppable kind.