Chapter 2

Shane turned the corner leading out of the kitchen and handed Merlin a cup of coffee with two packets of sugar on the side. He then sat in the booth seat across from Merlin. Merlin set his pen down and turned his attention to the burly man sitting in front of him.
     "You know Merlin you always come in here, but I don't know a great deal about you. Are you a writer? I only see you scribble in that notepad."
     "Oh well I'm not sure. I guess it's just therapeutic you know by the lake and all." Shane nodded.
     "What do you write about if you don't mind me asking." Merlin hesitated for a moment.
     "Old friends." He didn't say anything more. He couldn't bring himself too.
     "Well I'm sure it's excellent Merlin. You enjoy your coffee." Shane slid out of the booth and walked to the kitchen. Merlin gave a weak smile. It was nice to talk with people again. Merlin finished his coffee, left the diner, and drove home. It was almost seven at night when he arrived home. He threw his keys on the coffee table next to the couch. Merlin's body collapsed on the couch. His cat Archie curled up next to him.
Shit. I have to actually go to work tomorrow. Merlin ran his hands through his hair trying not to cry. He looked over his cat.
     "How do I manage to keep going everyday?" The cat didn't answer. Merlin looked around the tiny apartment. The cat's bowl was empty. Merlin muttered a spell under his breath. His eyes became consumed with a golden hue. The bag of cat food flies across the kitchen and poured itself into the bowl.

Merlin's POV

     It really is a burden to go to work tomorrow. I only have to go once a month but I don't like it. I need a job though. Maybe if I work fast I can leave early. Archie was already fed, so I didn't need to do anything else tonight. I didn't feel like eating dinner tonight or getting off the couch. I'm just going to sleep on the couch again. I cant remember the last time I touched my bed.

     Merlin arrived on time for work the next morning. He climbed the staircase up Elizabeth Tower and opened a door with a key only he had. It led to the outside of the tower where the clock was. Outside was a harness attached to a cord so Merlin couldn't fall. Just as he was about to exit the door he heard someone come up the stairs behind him. He turned to see a girl who looked to be in her late twenties. She had short curly hair with golden brown skin. She looked like a model.
     "Who are you?" She questioned. Merlin stuttered for a moment. He wasn't anticipating talking to anyone today.
     "Oh I'm just Merlin. I'm the cleaner. I'll be gone soon." He spoke quickly.
     "You new around here?"
     "Yes." The girl walked closer to Merlin. He could smell her citrus perfume.
     "Thought so. Look here Merlin, we normally do this in pairs so it goes by quicker. I guess I'll be working with you now. My old partner Austin quit a month or so ago. Name's Jade." She extended her hand out to Merlin. He was still trying to process everything she just said. He finally shook her hand.
     "You don't talk much do you?"
     "No I do, I uhm just have trouble meeting new people. In fact my one friend always had to tell me to shut up. I don't think I ever heard him say anything to me more than 'shut up'." Merlin sighed. It felt nice to talk about without Arthur without breaking down. His mind wandered to the old days of Camelot for a minute. He looked up to see Jade staring at him.
     "Sorry."
     "It's ok you don't need to apologize. We outta getting work now." As Jade walked by Merlin she patted his shoulder. She walked out the door and started getting harnessed. Merlin's world froze. Was that what human touch felt like? It had been so long. The last time he remembered being touched in such a caring way was when Arthur was dying. For a moment, Merlin felt a jolt of warmth run through his body, but it didn't last long. The memories of Arthur had run over the feeling. Merlin walked out the door and got harnessed up.
"So what did you do to end up working at a hell hole like this Merlin? You seem to have good head on your shoulders." Merlin hesitated for a second. He truly hadn't thought of the answer to that question. He'd been fired from countless jobs, mostly somehow relating to being depressed.
"Mostly from being depressed. I can't keep a job." Jade gave a sympathetic smile at Merlin.
"You ever need anything you give me a call. Alright?" Merlin looked over at Jade. He couldn't manage to find any words so he just nodded.
"Come on. Let's get this tower fixed up before dark." Jade said as she grabbed some glass cleaner from her belt.
It was almost two in the afternoon when they finished. Merlin quickly packed up his things and left. Immediately after work he drove over to Shane's. He parked the car and went in. He found a cup of coffee waiting in his usual seat. Merlin turned to see Shane smiling at him. He couldn't help but smile back.