02

Play music when you see this: ≪ °🎵° ≫

┗━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┛

Today was the day of the ceremony. I can't even begin to explain how worried I am.

Sofia's been bugging me to wear something different than my normal green skirt and white top. She wants me to wear something red to match her purple dress. "We don't want to look like a mardi gras parade," she said. This was actually a good point to make, so I threw on the red skirt with the white top instead. Dad wore his usual red button down but wore a fedora with it.

I figured I'd finish one of my in progress art pieces before going to the party. Thus being said, I grabbed my pallet and squeezed some of the new paint Sofia made for me onto it. Brush by brush, the canvas continued to overflow with color.

This one's going definitely one of my best pieces. A week of dinners, that's for sure.

I felt something brush against my arm.

While dipping my brush onto the pallet, it seems I've missed. Now I have a big yellow streak on my forearm.

The ceremony is in 10 minutes. Shit. Shit shit shit!!

I ran to the outside faucet and attempted to scrub off the yellow paint as hard as I could. "No.. no, no no!" It's not coming off, and there's now 7 minutes before go time.

Sofia heard me from inside and came out to help me. It's still not coming off. "Maybe nobody will notice? I mean it's a pretty... small... streak." She dried my forearm with a towel. "Sofia. This color is brighter than the sun. I highly doubt it." My eyes began to tear up. Don't cry now, don't cry now. 3 minutes before we have to go.

"Marie!! Sofia! We should start heading over!" Dad yelled to us from the door. "Coming!" We yelled back. Sofia helped me to my feet and we started walking.

Upon arriving to the house, it was gorgeous. I see it everyday, but it's never been this.. alive before, that's a good way to put it.

Flowers were everywhere. People were talking and laughing from inside. The whole house seemed to glow. It was beautiful.

Sofia dragged me ahead of dad. She says there's someone she wants me to meet. Around my age, I hope. We were getting close to the door and my heart began to race. The house was full of people.

I could feel someone's eyes on me as we got closer. Maybe I'm just nervous. Sofia said a quick hello to someone, I couldn't catch their face in time to see who it was.

We quickly walked inside and Sofia dragged me over to her best friend Isabella's sister.

"Mirabel! This is the," Sofia squeezed my hand, "Sweet girl I was telling you about a few days ago. I hope you guys can become great friends!" Sofia let go and left me with the girl. I looked around for a second, clearly confused, before the girl caught my attention again. "Um, hello! I'm Mirabel Madrigal. It's nice to meet you!" Mirabel said, sticking out her hand. I hesitantly took her hand. "My name's Marie. Marie Hernandez." Just breathe. Think before you speak.

"That's such a pretty name. Would you like a tour of the house? It seems like it's your first time being here!" Mirabel continued to hold my hand, taking me upstairs.

She walked with me around the second floor, showing me everyone's 'door' as she called them. Each door was glowing, with a picture of the person the door belonged to on the front. We turned a corner to her room, the nursey, and hung out there for a little bit before her mother, Julieta, called her name.

"It was nice meeting you! Stay here if you'd like, or you can go downstairs and join the party. The choice is yours!" Mirabel said before leaving.

Deciding to test myself, I continued on downstairs again to go see food choices and see what everyone else was doing.