07

┗━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┛

It wasn't until after Mirabel showed me Bruno's vision that I saw she had sand in her hair. What the hell did this girl do, to get a few shards of stained glass?

But we shouldn't be worried about that right now. Because right in front of us both was a clear picture of Mirabel. And that's not a good sign.

"Alright then. Do we keep this to ourselves, or.. do we tell your parents?" I asked her. The glass was glowing. "Oh nono, we keep this to ourselves. Nobody can know about this. At least not until we figure out the full picture-" Mirabel glanced at the glass. "-figuratively, I mean."

"But this begs the question. Why am I in your vision, Bruno.." She focused harder on the glass as if that would give her the answer.

A rumble was heard from the entrance of the room. Pepa was standing in the door frame, with an empty basket. Mirabel and I hid the shards immediately.

"Tía! Jeez," Mirabel held a hand over her heart, calming herself down. I held my hands behind my back.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to.. Shoo! Shoo, shoo!" Pepa grunted and pushed her cloud out of the room.

"I just wanted to get the last of Toñito's things and then I heard... 'the name'... we do not speak." The cloud hovered over her head again. "Great. Now I'm thundering, and that thunder will lead to a drizzle and a drizzle will lead to a sprinkle..."

She looked like she was having a really hard time. Does she ever actually get validation for her emotions-?

"Clear skies, clear skies." Pepa took a deep breath. "Whew.. clear skies.."

"..Tía Pepa? If Bru.." Pepa's cloud came back. Mirabel hesitated, changing her words. "..He, If 'he' had a vision about someone.. what would it mean for them?" "We don't talk about Bruno." "I know. It's just hypothetically, if he saw you..." Pepa waved around her cloud.

"Mirabel, please. We need to get ready for the Guzmáns!" "I just wanna know if it was generally positive or, like, less positive..."

Felix burst into the room, giving me a heart attack. "It. Was a nightmare!" Felix yelled. "Felix!" "They need to know, Pepi, they need to know."

"We don't talk about Bruno."

"He would say something terrible.. and then.." Felix came towards me, making lots of popping and booming sounds. "..it would happen." Pepa pushed him away. "We don't talk about Bruno!"

I glanced at Mirabel and then to Felix. "What if he didn't understand what he saw?" Felix looked at me. "Then you better figure it out, because he was coming for you."

Pepa went into musical mode and began to sing about her and Felix's wedding, and how Bruno supposedly ruined it by figuratively flooding Pepa's head with worries that it'll rain.

Pepa looked annoyed at Felix for talking while she was telling the story. "I'm sorry, mi vida, go on."

They danced for awhile longer before Dolores took us downstairs.

"Hey!
Grew to live in fear of Bruno stuttering or stumbling,
I can always hear him, sort of muttering and mumbling,
I associate him with the sound of falling sand.."

She shushed our lips, imitating the sounds of sand.

"It's a heavy lift, with a gift so humbling,
Always left Abuela and the family fumbling,
Grappling with prophecies they couldn't understand..."

Dolores leaned down to us, looking worried. I held my breath.

"Do you understand?"

Mirabel and I were swept away by the boy in the yellow ruana. I couldn't pay attention to what he was saying most of the time, all I could focus on was his voice. Camilo shifted into the image of Bruno every now and then. Each time took me by surprise.