Chapter 2: There's No Such Thing as Fantasy

Into The Reality - Chapter 2

HIS POV

"Give me back my credit cards, Martin." Nag-salubong ang mga kilay ko nang sabihin 'yun ni Dad bago ako maka-labas para pumunta ng school. "I told you to be independent, right? I'll give you an allowance for the whole week, and I'll be taking back your credit cards. Don't cause any more trouble at your new school. Mahiya ka naman. I had to pull some strings just to transfer you there."

I'm a man of privilege. I got into this known Science High school without even taking exams, because my dad was capable of using money donations to bargain the school. I'm on my third year in high school when I got transferred here, but I still managed to get transferred into that school which was bizarre for other students.

That was the truth I didn't want to tell anyone. It was humiliating as hell that I got in here using bribery and not my own knowledge and intelligence.

I've been a spoiled brat, getting everything real quick ever since I was a child. I caused trouble at my past exclusive school, kaya ipinasok nila ako rito nang walang entrance exam.

Wealth was such a powerful thing, to the point that you can control other people with it, and it can also control you.

At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to adjust being at a public school, pero nasanay na rin ako. I tried hard not to act spoiled, at hindi ko pinapahalata ang kayamanan ng pamilya namin. Now, I'm on my senior year in high school.

I was used to being an introvert, Nanatili akong hindi nakikipag-usap sa ibang estudyante gaano dahil ayaw kong makilala nila ako, at kung saang pamilya ako nanggaling. Pili lang ang mga taong kinakaibigan ko, dahil alam mo naman kapag nalaman ng iba na mayaman ka. They'd want your money more than any other things you can offer them like a good relationship and friendship.

Tahimik naman akong tao... pero pagdating sa kan'ya, parang umiingay bigla ang kaluluwa ko.

"Ms. Avelista, you're late. That's unexpected."

Napatingin ako sa tabi ko at nakita ko si Alice na naka-yuko. As if it was the end of her world. She bowed down to show respect, and maybe also because she was embarrassed. For smart achievers and perfectionists like her, I bet it's disappointing enough to have one tardy in their attendance. Para sa mga katulad kong walang pakialam, it was very normal. "I'm sorry, sir. I got caught in a traffic jam. Hindi na po mauulit."

She looked unusual today. Maga ang mata niya. I didn't know if it was either she's lacking sleep, or she cried her eyes out.

Siguro andami niyang iniisip. Maybe she's worrying a lot these days, that's why. I hope those worries soon turn into positive thoughts. Dapat hindi niya i-stress pa ang sarili niya at mag-alala sa mga bagay-bagay that we're not in control of. Kung may iisipin 'man siya, bakit hindi na lang kung saan napunta ang nawalang 15 billion ng PhilHealth?

I'm here at our school's roofed pathway from the guard's spot and currently waiting in line for our punishment.

"Run 2 laps on the track and field. Dalian niyo, after that, proceed to your classes." Napabuga kami ng hangin dahil sa dami ng laps na binigay ni coach Diaz. He is our Physical Education teacher, but I call him coach dahil track and field runner varsity ako ng school.