Chapter 2.1

Despite the imperfection, it's like I've turned blind Katrina's flaws. She doesn't have any flaws for me. She's just... perfect.

But even the strongest people, knows how to cry too when no one sees them.

After my track and field training, I headed to our classroom to get my hydroflask. Wala nang tao sa loob at naka-patay na ang ilaw dahil hanggang tanghali lang ang pasok namin.

Pagkapasok ko sa loob, binuksan ko ang light switch. I was caught off guard to see a girl crying at the corner of the dark room. I couldn't see her face because she was bowing down her head, afraid that someone might see her.

"Why are you crying?" Lumapit ako sa babae. What surprised me more, is to see that it was Alice.

"What are you saying? Wala. I'm not crying." Napatayo siya. She didn't expect me to see her and for anyone to see her like that, being weak and vulnerable. "May pumasok lang sa mata ko."

"You want some?" I lend her the shawarma on my hand.

"Ano namang gagawin ko riyan?" She crossed her arms. Sinubukan pa niyang mag-maldita kahit halata namang gusto niyang ipagpatuloy ang pag-iyak niya.

I positioned myself to sit down beside her, not taking back the shawarma I'm trying to give her. "Try mong sayawan. Malay mo ma-inlove."

I saw her shake her head out of annoyance in my peripheral view, but I still smiled. "Just eat. No questions asked." She looked at the shawarma again, but in the end, she took it and helped herself. She took a seat again at the corner of our classroom, and I sat down beside her.

"Wala naman sigurong lason 'to, 'di ba?" Natawa ako sa pag-dududa niya sa akin.

"Sasabihin ko kapag sinabi mo na kung bakit ka umiyak." I tried to outsmart her, even if I know she won't fall for a petty reason I gave. "Come on. Vent to me. Hindi naman kita huhusga-"

I stopped speaking when she started sobbing again. Ngayon, naka-takip na ang kamay niya sa mukha niya at humihikbi. Kinapa ko ang bulsa ko pero wala akong panyo roon. Looks like I can't wipe her tears. I'll just listen to her and be there for her, maybe that's enough.

"I recently found out that I'm adopted." I looked at her when she spoke. I felt my forehead creased, and my jaws clenched. I wasn't expecting that. "Matagal ko nang alam pero kahapon kasi pinag-awayan 'yun ng parents ko.. I just wanna die."

I ran out of words. I wanted her to vent out, but I couldn't say anything. It was pathetic.

"Hoy, ayos lang." she tried to laugh. "Wala ka namang kailangan sabihin. It's okay. Having someone to talk to is enough."

"Aren't you grateful?" I started. "They sheltered you like you were theirs. You must be that precious to them that they take care of you until you've grown to being a fine woman."

"Of course, I'm grateful. I didn't cry because I hate them. They already helped me for Christ's sake. I am truly grateful. Umiyak ako kasi... k-kasi balak nila akong ibalik sa ampunan. Mas masakit pa dahil nag-hiwalay na sina mama at papa. Mama doesn't even wear her ring anymore."

My jaw clenched because of the continuous words she uttered. It was already heartbreaking to hear. She's so strong to the point that she's able to state that without breaking down.

"What? Haven't you talked to them about changing their mind?"

"Nag-bago na ang isip nila. They're keeping me, but my dad left the family." She smiled at me. "It just sucks you know. That they thought of returning me like I was a mere broken doll that's been used to much and is soon to be thrown away. Then after that... they separated. It was a tragedy after another tragedy."

"You're not gonna be thrown away, Alice. Please... don't think of dying." I patted her back. "You are strong, but allowing yourself to be vulnerable and delicate sometimes, doesn't make you any weaker.