Chapter 6.1

Pagka-bukas ko ng pintuan, hindi ko inasahan na si Martin ang bubungad. He was wearing a white dress shirt with a black necktie and a pair of black slacks; he was busy loosening his tie and is holding a black coat on his other arm. May suot pa siyang specs, he looked really sophisticated and... out of reach.

He looked so far high even if he was just standing in front of me.

"Do you want to go for a dinner?" he placed his other hand in his pocket. "There's... there's an after party with the investors. Do you want to come?"

Tumango na lang ako kahit hindi ko alam kung anong gagawin sa after party. Nag-paalam ako na mag-papalit muna ako ng suot para tugma sa pupuntahan naming party. I just wore a simple red sequin bodycon dress ending inches above my knee. A thin strap was holding it and my cleavage was exposed. I also braided my hair to a half ponytail. Pagkalabas ko ng hotel room ko, saglit na napatulala sa'kin si Martin. Akala niya yata ay hindi ko in-expect na may party!

"You'll be my date." Napa-tanga na lang ako nang sinabihan niya akong kumapit sa braso niya. He was holding my waist. Wala siyang ibang empleyado rito maliban sa assistant niya pero ako pa ang kinakabahan para sa kan'ya na baka may makakita! What is he thinking?!

He just friend zoned me earlier, but his actions are not matching with the words he told me!

Pagkapasok namin ng ballroom area ng hotel, there were a lot of visitors, mostly grown-up men and women in formal attire. I could sense that they were all businessmen, and others are respected guests.

There were cocktail tables and I just stood there and grabbed a glass of wine from the waiter roaming around the hall. Martin was busy greeting some investors. They were talking about business, obviously. I didn't join in the conversation because I don't want to spit nonsense. Boring naman 'yung topic!

I just watched Martin have a formal conversation with investors and respected businessmen. I was proud of his growth. If the high school Alice would see him... she'd be proud. She'd be smiling widely knowing that Martin has reached milestones. Martin made it.

While me... I don't know. I just became a marketing analyst out of practicality. I chose Marketing as my course because I have nothing else. Para ngang nang-hula na lang ako ng course na pipiliin. I was willing to go for any course as long as the course does not need too much money. I also wanted a course that won't take too long to study. 4 years lang. I wanted to work right away.

"Alice." Hindi ko napansing nag-lalakad na pala si Martin palapit sa'kin. "Are you bored? Let's go out." Aya niya sa akin.

"Sige lang po."

"You seem to agree with everything I ask." He smiled. Ngumiti na lang rin ako, it was awkward.

Because of the booze I drank, parang gusto kong gumawa ng kabaliwan. I wanted to bring him back to me. But I maintained myself. Kaka-sabi niya lang na ayaw na niya. Alice... huwag kang desperado.

"This is embarrassing to ask but..." Martin scratched his head. For some reasons, ako ang kinakabahan sa sasabihin niya. I can't predict him. "Can you help me pick a gift for my fiancé?"

For a moment, natigilan ako.

Martin has always been my safe space. Siya lang naman ang hinayaan kong pumasok sa buhay ko ng ganoon.

That moment, I thought that I want to come back to him. Gusto ko na sanang uwian ang tahanang minsan ko na ring nilisan...

But I think it was too late. I came back too late.

The doors of my home were no longer open for me to come back to.