10: Even If It's the Last Thing I Do

(Kelly's P.O.V, one hour ago)

"It's a curtsy, darnit. You have to go much lower than that."

Edgar had remained with me in the kitchen, allowing me some of his time so I could learn some basic royalty skills.

That way, I'd be able to use them to go to the December Masque, as well as approach the highest of lords in a polite manner to speak with them about this picture I had in my pocket.

...the one of that terribly upset child.

I sighed heavily and lowered my body further as I held out my skirt at my sides.

"Is....this...low enough?" I growled, feeling not only stupid, but a little embarrassed as well.

Edgar stepped across me, gauging my form from both the left and right sides. He hesitated as he tilted his head, determining if my curtsy was enough to pass.

My legs, meanwhile, began to shake as I did my best to remain still.

"E-Edgar! It hurts!!" I squeaked, to which he finally spoke up.

"Hmm. Okay, I guess it'll do." The general uttered with barely any remorse. I practically gasped as I stood.

"Oww...." I groaned.

"My legs....."

"S-sir!? Sir!!"

The calls of another soldier just down the hallway immediately caught my attention. I looked up and turned my attention out, wondering what all the commotion is for.

"Sir! You can't! You won't be able to face him alone!"

The yelling came to an abrupt hault as a white haired lieutenant dashed past the door. I gasped when I saw - Jonahs eyes, filled with burning tears, and his body rushing headlong to the castle entrance.

Instantly my stomach dropped.

Something was definitely wrong. I'd never seen Jonah look so stressed before.

I took off and dashed out of the kitchen, rounding into the hallway as Edgar called out to me.

"Alice! Wait! What about our--"

But I didn't respond. I followed Jonah out into the snow just as he snagged a horse and took off into the forest. With the blistering winter blowing outside, I had no other choice.

With eyes like that..

There was no way Jonah would be okay by himself; wherever he was going.

So I grabbed a horse myself and took off after him.

Whatever he was upset about...

It had shaken the absolute impenetrable heart of the Red Queen.

Something had to have happened -

Something big.

------------

(Kelly's P.O.V, present time)