18: Up in Flames Pt.2

(Meanwhile...)

"How are you feeling Luka?" 

It had been the first time in a small while that Seth, Luka, Sirius, Ray and Fenrir all had the ability to walk together. Even out in the snow, despite the cold as the evening began to set in, finally Ray and Luka were feeling well enough to actually set foot outside.

Though, at times Fenrir had to hold onto Ray so he didn't wander off absent-mindedly. And Sirius was still helping Luka stay upright.

"The pain is lessening each day...I'm starting to feel normal again." The young Lieutenant chided softly with a smile. He shifted his weight and teetered a little, to which Sirius swung his long arm around the man's shoulder's to catch him before he fell.

"Ah-Thanks Sirius."

"You got it. I'd rather you be walking out here holding onto me than stuck inside that medic ward with Kyle for yet another day." The Queen of Spades chuckled lightly.

"It really has been a while since we've all been together. This whole Castell thing has really had us busy..." Fenrir brought his hands back to sit behind his head as he sauntered away on the inner right of the group. Ray was just beside him, fixated at the sparkling snow in the sunset.

"It's amazing we all survived.." Seth muttered with a snicker.

"That kid has to have an emergency stop button or something. There's no way he can be that powerful and not have some sort of weakness." Fenrir pointed out rashly.

Sirius turned his way with a raise of his eyebrow.

"I'm sure it's not an impossible fact. But finding that weakness, well..."

Luka sighed angrily from the far left.

"If only I knew more..."

Seth turned his way and shook his head.

"Hey now, don't go beating yourself up over something like that. You've done what you can Luka. And getting too involved could put you at risk...just like Edgar..."

The Jack of Spades paused in his steps. His shoulders fell at the mention of his best friend.

"I know he's better then this....I still don't understand why he's missi-"

"Hey....guys?"

It was the first time Ray spoke up throughout the entire walk.

Fenrir spun around.

"Ray?"

And that's when the entire group of Black Army soldiers noticed for the first time, that it wasn't only white snow they were walking on.

Drops of fresh red dotted the white ground, leading a path into the Forest just outside of the Courtyard. Snagged and rough footprints drug themselves along the smudges of blood.

The King was the first to speak.

"Do you think....it could be-"

Sirius didn't even hesitate.

He handed Luka to Seth, then sprinted into the Forest.

--------------------------------------

(Alice's P.O.V, inside the Library)

I couldn't even believe what I was reading.

So Edgar was right. It really was true.

Jonah's father had a relationship with another woman before his mother. Alice the First had been Levie's mother all along.

That explained why Levie was the only son born with innate Magic.

Having finished reading the first diary entry on lined paper, I folded it back up and opened the second one. Despite having stopped running over 10 minutes ago, I still felt breathless and on edge.

I didn't know if I was truly ready to read what came next....

(Alice the First' P.O.V)

The moment I realised Cyrus couldn't touch his own son, was the first time I'd ever experienced true, earth-shattering heartbreak. He'd only been born to us seconds earlier, but as soon as Levie was pulled from my womb - 

The doctor suffered burns so bad, she could no longer move her fingers.

Sparks like lightning crackled and danced along Levie's little body, warning anyone who came near to touch him that they'd be disfigured or destroyed. The doctor began screaming in agony and Cyrus rushed in to grab Levie before the woman dropped him -