23: Truce

(I just want to say, thank you to everyone who stuck around for this story. I know it's been a long haul to finish, but with my life changing over these last few years, writing has been harder to complete with limited time.

But I still love it, and I'm trying to keep time open to continue to pursue the stories and fanfictions that I love so much. So never fear, I'll always be around to see your comments and write out new chapters as soon as I can.

I'm here for the long haul, even if it seems like not sometimes :,)

Here's to the (almost) end of Jonah. My absolute favourite character for Ikemen.)

—————-

(Jonah's P.O.V)

I'll never forget that moment.

The tunnel vision, the sickly, nauseous swirling in my stomach as my mind began to shut off. As I felt my consciousness wane while Amon psychotically drilled Magic into my chest.

I wasn't thinking at that second. I was desperate, searching for a way to stop time, or stop his attack. I refused to die, and I refused to perish at the hands of such a vile man who had torn my family so far apart as Amon had.

All that burned inside of me was survival.

So, inflating with rage and frantic need to stop the attack that was killing me, I snagged the only idea I had.

That jingling, at Amon's ankle. A cylindrical item that, predictably so, only he'd have hidden away in his sock.

I grabbed it and rushed to understand. As soon as I realized it was a syringe, I took my chances. I felt my consciousness wane, and with my last breath, and my heart beginning to stall, I slammed my fist down into my chest and prayed that I'd been right.

That's how you made an inherently Magical being, after all.

Stop their heart, whether by means of torture, cruelty or both, then inject them with Magic at just the precise moment.

It would start a chain reaction. One that would fill the veins of the person with Magic to necessitate blood flow, and create a circuit of dependence. Magic now hand in hand coiled through the veins of the victim and shot right to their heart.

Forever changed.

Forever inherent.

By the time I realized what had happened, I was no longer fearful of losing my life.

Every injury; every ache and pain I'd suffered at the hands of Levie was gone. My blood was surging through my veins, and I sprang into action so fast, I caused a minor explosion. I jumped up and rushed to Alice, easily absorbing the Magic that tormented her so as I pinned her to the ground.

I wasn't panicked; instead, I felt this moral sense of duty.

I needed to right these wrongs, and save Cradle.

I needed to stop Alice, and save her, too.

"I'm here now..." I focused my grip on her arms, sucking up as much of her power as I could to quell the flames that burnt her fingers. I could feel the young girl beginning to weaken, her muscles growing limp as the Magic inside of her tried to burst forth.

"I'll stop the pain... it's alright, Kelly."

The shroud of blinding white light around us began to dim.

Finally, Kelly was starting to simmer. She grew even weaker and fell backwards, but I only brought her closer and held her tighter. Her breathing was shallow and laboured, and with the blood coming from her hands and the many injuries she'd already suffered, I could feel her starting to suffer from shock as well as overwhelming emotional pain.