11: Picking up the Pieces

(Jonah's P.O.V, 30 minutes later)

I would be lying if I said I knew how I got back to the Red Army Castle.

With blood seeping from my injuries; my shattered, broken arm barely held in a sling that was mere tatters; and adrenaline, confusion, and devastation wracking my thoughts and my mind....

My feet straggled along the red carpet as I entered the Hearts citadel. The grand door behind me barely closed, before I looked up to see him - 

The air stilled between us as his bright, icy blue eyes met mine.

"I trust Edgar is already on damage control?" The head of the Hearts had a solid, strong jaw as he stared me down. Despite my injuries and my suffering, I was aware that, when it came to the King, now wasn't the time to be selfish and pause to get my own bearings.

The entire country was on the edge of a lockdown now.

"Yes. He's called for Zero's support already. K-Kyle and his medics ssshould---be---" Now that I wasn't in harms way, the calming of my nerves from the situation with Levie suddenly drained my blood pressure and caused my voice to stutter and stall. I didn't intend to swoon, but before I knew it, I had my hand over my eyes as my back faultered into the wall.

"I---"

But I didn't topple to the ground, much like I'd anticipated.

The strong, pale arm of Lancelot was there in an instant, holding me by the forearm of my only good hand, keeping me steady as I leant against the stone surface.

"I've already dispatched the medic team to deal with the Civic Center. But Kyle has remained here, due to both Blackwell and Sirius needing full 24 hour care." I took a deep breath as I listened, trying to simmer my messy, chaotic nerves that were attempting to relax.

"But by the looks of it....I chose the correct avenue for Kyle. With injuries this bad, it's clear you didn't hesitate against Castell, did you?"

I took another deep breath, but let it out slowly. I wanted to answer his question, but knew if I did, my emotion's would come out in a full frontal assault.

"...how is Luka?" I rasped, opting to change the subject before I broke apart completely.

"Stable. He hasn't woken yet, but he's in constant pain. Groaning in his sleep." 

The guilt and shame I felt for not being able to protect him, nor Alice, smoldered in my chest.

"I've failed....my own brother...he-"

"Your parents are to blame, Jonah." The King's voice burned heavier against my ears. I didn't meet his eyes, turning away to stare at my feet in frustration.

"He has Alice too, Lancelot. I didn't stand a chance....I...I was ready to die for Luka..but I knew that I couldn't beat Levie. Not as unprepared as I was." I rose my hand to rub my eyes angrily. 

"I couldn't even keep Alice from him..."

"Levie has never been a man of reason, you know that." Lancelot shot back, before turning his head down the hall to glance one of the workers as they passed through to the next room.

"You-" He shot at the soldier.

"Ah---Y-yes sir!" The man immediately stood at the ready and saluted. Lancelot trained his eyes on the younger man.

"Send for Kyle Ashe. Right now."

With a quick, urgent spring in his step, he nodded swiftly and rushed down the hallway and turned right as he headed towards the medic ward. With that out of the way, Lancelot turned back to me.