New Year, New Feelings

I'm writing this on New Year's Eve morning. (I might publish this on New Year's Day, I don't know.) Anyway, enjoy!! 💜 (the purple heart is the Jilly heart, it's head cannon now) Also, they're all 16 except AG, I'm pretty sure she's one year younger than the rest of them(?)

Today is New Year's Eve! Yay! It's almost a new year! This year will turn into last year and next year will turn into this year!

"Gilly, stop jumping on the bed." Miri yells at me.

"Never!" I laugh.

It's been around 4 years since we won the battle against Rump. The longer it's been, the easier it is to forget. I've actually been able to goof off a little and act like a kid instead of a soldier.

"Gillian Cobbler! Stop jumping on the bed or I'll get your boyfriend to come here and tell you!" Miri snaps.

"Joke's on you! I don't have a boyfriend!" I yell back.

Miri doesn't answer. I guess she gave up.

A few minutes later, Jax walks into my dorm room.

"Why did Miri just tell me to come over here?" Jax asks.

"Ha! I told you I would do it Gillian!" Miri yells appearing in the mirror again.

"No, you said that you would get my non-existent boyfriend." I say to Miri.

"... Can I join you?" Jax asks.

"Sure!" I say. Jax climbs on the bed then starts jumping up and down with me.

"... Seriously?" Miri says, unimpressed.

"Yep!" I say, jumping and spinning at the same time.

"Well. I guess I'll leave you two alone then." Miri says.

"That was weird. Usually she would yell at me for jumping on the bed." I say, still jumping.

"Huh. Same for me." Jax says.

We both continue jumping. At one point, I almost fell off and Jax grabbed my hand to keep me from falling. He never let go.

After a while, we both become far too tired to continue jumping and we both fall down, still holding hands.

Just then, Maxine walks in.

"Gilly, Jax! There you are! Come on! We're going to be late for class!" Maxine urges.

I groan and Jax does the same.

"Why do we have class on New Year's Eve? It's stupid." I say.

"Right? We're all gonna be up all night so let us rest all day!" Jax says.

Maxine seems to notice something and tries to hide a giggle with her hand. It doesn't work.

"What's so funny?" I ask, very confused.

Maxine points to mine and Jax's still interlocked hands.

I feel my face heat up and I quickly let go of Jax's hand.

I run to class before Maxine can tease me about it.

After class we all run to our dorms to prepare for the New Year's Eve party. All the girls going to mine and Maxine's dorm room, all the boys going to their dorm.

Maxine and Kayla somehow convince me to wear a dress.

It's actually a pretty dress. The colors are midnight blue and silver. A sparkling blue headband holds back my hair, and Kayla put a small amount of silver glitter in my hair.

A few hours later, all of us girls have done our hair, painted our nails, picked out our outfits, and done our makeup.

"Guys, it's 10:00! We need to get to the party now!" Kayla exclaims.

We run out of the dorm room and to the gymnasium where the party is being held.

Click, drip, snap.

What was that? The last time I heard a sound like that was 4 years ago, and after hearing that, I saw the person that I would eventually fall in love with.

"I'll be right back." I say, walking off to find what was making the sounds.

"But we were just about to make a grand entrance!" Maxine complains as I leave.

I ignore her and continue walking.

I look around for a few minutes but can't find anything. It must have been all in my head. I'm about to head back to the gymnasium when I hear a voice from the garden.

"A New Year's Eve party with my crush! What am I doing?!" I hear the voice yell.

I walk it the garden and see a head of blonde hair.

"Jax?" I ask.

Jax turns around just as a gust of wind blows by me, making my hair flow to the side.

"Oh! H-hi Gilly!" Jax stutters.

I walk over to him.

"Are you gonna come to the New Year's Eve party or are you just gonna sit here and sulk about your crush?" I tease.

"You heard all that?!" Jax freaks out while his face turns dark red.

I laugh and drag him back to the gymnasium, the whole way telling him how I want to meet this crush of his.

I wonder who she is. I want to know who my competition is.

We reach the gymnasium doors 30 minutes late at 10:30.

"You ready to be at a party with your little crush?" I tease Jax some more.

Jax rolls his eyes and grabs onto my hand, obviously a little nervous.

We walk in and a few people turn to stare at us as we enter.

We walk to our friends at the snack table and for an hour and a 29 minutes we eat and dance.

"Ten!" I hear someone shout.

"Nine!"

Jax squeezes my hand.

"Eight!"

Jax pulls me into a hug.

"Seven!"

"Jax?"

"Five!"

Jax pulls back and looks into my eyes.

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!"

"Happy New Year, Thief." Jax whispers.

"One!"

"Happy New Year!!" Everyone in the gymnasium screams as Jax kisses me.

Happy New Years y'all!!! Let's hope 2022 is better than 2021, knock on wood!! *Punches the character from Harry Potter* (I read something like that before)