Mint

I stare at the blank screen of the computer. I have nothing to do here yet. I wasn't told to do anything but exist here. I never had anything specific to do. I listen to the background noise of children laughing and screaming. I listen to the thumping of children sliding into the ball pit. The rustling of paper as children glue things, tape things, cut things, tear things, and color crafts. It smells like crayons and children. It's an odd way to describe a smell, but it just smells like children. Period.

     I glance up from the computer and I look at the children, running around like their heads are about to explode. I notice one kid getting up from the arts and crafts table, holding a piece of paper. It looks at the paper and smiles. It looks around and starts running in a certain direction. I look at where the child is heading, and I notice Sun walking around with children holding on to its legs. The children laugh as it takes them everywhere in the daycare.

     The kid runs up to it and holds up the paper. It takes the paper with one hand and looks at it. It gets really happy as it says something to the child, but the atmosphere of the room is too loud for me to hear it, and the fact he doesn't have a moving mouth makes it impossible to make out what it's saying. It reaches down and scoops up the kid, wrapping it in a big hug. Suddenly, I want a hug from it, too. I smile warmly as I watch the wholesome moment.

     More kids start to crowd Sun and I close my eyes. I start to crunch on the Sunnydrop and I think about all the good things about being here. first of all, the paycheck isn't so bad. It could be better, but not bad. Everyone here is nice to me and I have no idea why. Either way, I think I might like it here.

     "Tag! you're it!" I hear a kid say as they touch me. They then start to run away.

     "Now now, Anabelle, I don't think the security guard wants to play," Sun says.

     But I stand up, smirking. "You really shouldn't have just done that!" I shout before I run out from behind the desk and after the kids. I don't run too fast since it needs to be fair game. They scream and laugh as they run away from me, not wanting to get tagged.

     I turn around to see Sun standing there, just looking at me. The frozen, smiling face makes it a lot creepier than it probably should be. I smile and wiggle my fingers at it. "I'm gonna getcha!" I shout before I run after it instead. It looks caught off guard, but it still runs away from me. As I chase it, some kids run away from us, while others try to stop Sun.

     Soon I managed to corner him next to the play structure. "There's nowhere for you to go, Sunny!" I smile as I slowly walk closer to him. It just stands there, not trying to scoot away or anything. Once I'm about two feet away, it quickly turns around and starts to climb up the play structure like a spider.

     Some of the kids shout "Woah!" and "Cool!" and other things of the sort. All I can do is think of how to get up there. I take a deep breath, then I reach up and grab one of the bars and I pull myself upward. Then it becomes child's play afterwards and I start to climb up the structure a lot easier. Not as fast as the animatronic but pretty good.

     Sun turns around as it nears the top and almost loses its grip as it notices how close I've gotten. It starts to pick up the pace, but so do I. It climbs to the top and starts running on top of the structure.

     "KIDS DON'T TRY THIS!!!" It shouts. I climb up to the top too, but it isn't there. I run around the top of the structure, but alas, I still cannot find the animatronic. Some of the kids start laughing and I wonder why.

     I turn around and nearly jump back when I see Sun right behind me, its face upside down. When I collect myself after about a second, I reach out and try to touch him, but he moves backwards and I fall forward, losing my balance.

     I close my eyes for the impact of the play structure, but it never happens. Instead, I feel arms grabbing my shoulders, keeping me from face-planting the ground. I look up and smile. "You're it."

     Sun laughs as I free from his grasp and quickly climb down from the structure. "Well, I should get back to work," I say, smiling. I walk back to the security desk and sit down in my spinny office chair. I love this chair.

     I spin around and around in the chair, not stopping. I spin for about a minute before I stop. After stopping the chair, I open my eyes and instantly regret it. After five seconds, I fall out of my chair from how dizzy I am.

     Some of the kids who noticed my stupidity laugh, and so do I. I lay on the ground for another minute before slowly getting back up. I climb into my chair and lay my head on my hand. I look down a bit and notice something orange.

     Another Sunnydrop.

     When did this get here? Did Sun put it here while I was spinning, or after I fell? I take the candy and I pop it in my mouth. I relax to the soothing peppermint. I stuff the third wrapper in my pocket.

     I get a notification on my computer that says it's lunch time.

     I just ate mint tho-