Mustard

I chew on the Sundrop as I stand up out of my chair. I stretch before I start to walk out, but before I leave the security desk, I hear a voice.

"Leaving so soon, ___?" The bright voice asks. I turn around to find Sun looking in my direction.

"It's my lunch break," I say as I push open one of the doors. I don't plan on eating during the break. I don't usually eat at this time, anyways.

It then looks at the watch he doesn't have. "Oh my! Look at the time!" It turns around and shouts to the children, "NAP TIME EVERYONE!!!!!" The kids quickly go to a corner and grab from a pile of a bunch of blankets and pillows. A few of the children go to the storage cubbies and grab their own blankets, pillows, and even plushies.

I notice Sun walking to the security desk, and he presses the button on a Freddy Fazbear thingy on the desk. I never noticed it before. The mouth of it opens up to reveal a security card, similar to the one I have.

Sun takes the security card out of the container and sets the card to the side of it. Just as that happens, the lights go out. I look around, thinking the power went out, but the computers are still on.

When I look at Sun again, it is no longer a Sun, but now the Moon counterpart. I step back, surprised.

"Something wrong?" The Moon asks in a scratchy voice. I stand there silently, staring at it for a few seconds. It dryly chuckles. "The Sun always shines for us during the day. The night is the time for the Moon to glow!" It says before floating off the ground by a cord tied to its back. It glides over to the children and gives them each a candy. It doesn't look like a Sunnydrop, but rather in blue wrapping instead.

I watch as I open the giant faux wood doors and walk out of them quickly. I shut the doors and I breathe for a second. I don't know why that was so... unnerving to me.

Nevertheless, I open the map on my security tablet, and I make my way to the Security break room. I walk by screaming children as they want to play arcade games and get this and that, while parents are either only saying "yes" or only saying "no".

I manage to find the break room, and when I walk in, I see a table on the side of the room with a coffee machine, Styrofoam cups, and a box that once contained doughnuts. In the middle of the room sits seven other security guards, one of them being Vanessa. The walls are grey, the only thing lightening them up are a few posters advertising some soda that only is sold here.

This is one sad break room.

A short female security guard waves me over, and I walk over and sit in the last empty seat at the table. I examine the other security guards. Besides me and Vanessa, the woman that waved me over is the only other female here. She's dark skinned with curly hair, reaching halfway down her back. She's not too skinny, but not too round either. Her eyes are a light brown, and her nails are painted a pastel green.

The rest of the guys are basically every way a human could be. Some are short, others tall, some black hair, some blond, and there's one tall guy whose albino which I think is pretty cool, since I don't really know any albino people.

The majority of everyone is either on their phone or talking to someone else, leaving me to awkwardly sit there. I pull out my phone and I scroll through my social medias. I have nothing in any of them but maybe a like or two. No messages or comments, though.

A man around 5 ½ feet with brown hair walks in, looking around, then his eyes land on me. Turns out, this man is my boss.

"___, may I have you for a moment?" He asks. Everyone stares at me as I nod and stand up. We both walk outside of the room, and only after he shuts the door is when he starts speaking.

"So, do you like it here so far?" He asks.

"It's not too bad," I say, shrugging.

"Do you have a favorite place yet?"

"I'm not sure. The only places I've been are the lobby and the daycare."

"Do you like the attendant?" dang. These questions keep on coming.

"Did you need me for something, or can I go back in?" I ask, getting annoyed with these questions.

"Yes, actually. We're short staffed, so I need you to work the night shift as well."

"Isn't there anyone else who can do it?" I ask.

"Yes, but we need the others in separate areas of the pizza plex. You said you were familiar with the daycare, correct?" He asks, giving me the face that says I should know what he's implying, which I do.

"Why does someone need to be in the daycare at night?" I ask. There're no children to look after at night... right?

"Well, the animatronics here do get a bit quirky at night," he says. "Plus, Sunny hates being alone. He needs someone to be with him at all times. So yes?" He asks.

"I was planning on ordering pizza at my apartment, then binge watching Squid Game without sleeping, and if I did fall asleep then I would eat an entire bottle of mustard at once, but sure." I kind of wanted to go home though. I guess I can find out more about the Sun animatronic.

"Wait, what are Sun's pronouns?" I ask. Then my boss bursts in laughter. I stand there awkwardly.

"You're serious?" I nod. "He prefers to be called a 'he' rather than an 'it' or 'them', but any of those work," he says, trying to not laugh. I sigh. I've been thinking of Sunny as an it the whole time.

So, I guess no Squid Game.