Lights Out

I walk out of the conference room to notice some of the lights are back on. I smile, knowing that this means I'll see Sun again. The meeting wasn't really much of anything but thinking of ways to save power. Yeah, nothing changed.

     I walk to the Daycare and I open one of the doors. I notice the lights are on in the Daycare, so Sun must be in here.

     "Sun?" I ask, looking around. I find Sun in the ball pit, not getting up. I run over and grab his arm, dragging him out of the ball pit. "Sun, are you ok?"

     He blinks, dazed for a moment as if he just fronted not long ago. He then looks up to me, his eyes wide with fear. "Don't turn off the lights," he says to me, his voice quivering.

     "What's wrong? Is Moon ok?" I ask, lifting him to his feet.

     He shakes his head franticly. "Something's wrong with him! I don't know what it is, but something isn't right! Just please, don't turn off the lights!"

     "Ok, I promise I wont!" I tell him. "I pinky promise," I say before taking his pinky and locking it with mine. "So, what are we going to do the rest of the night?"

     "Well, we hadn't played any games together in a while... What if we played... Hide and Seek?" Sun asks. I nod. I had always been pretty decent at the game.

    "Great! I'll let you hide first! I'll count to 60, ok?" He asks.

     "Alright! I'm ready when you are!" I say.

     Sun covers his eyes with his hands and starts the countdown and I look around, thinking of places to hide. ball pit? no, that's to easy. In one of the slides? That would take a while to climb up. Wait, what if I... got it.

     "17, 18, 19, 20," Sun continues, and I quietly run over to one of the play structures. I start to climb up to the top of it. As I do, I remember nearly my first day on the job when me and Sun played tag. we both climbed up here, Sun doing so to get away from me, me doing so to chase him.

     "36, 37, 38, 39," I crawl to the middle of the structure before I lay down on top of it. I wait for the countdown to finish.

     "58, 59, 60! Ready or not, here I come!" Sun exclaims, uncovering his eyes. He starts to run around the daycare. The first place he checks is the ballpit, swimming through it, only to not find any luck. I had a feeling he would search there.

     I decide to stop looking and lay down. It's not as exciting as it used to be. I don't know if it's because I'm so sleep deprived right now or what.

     It takes about five minutes before Sun finally climbs up and finds me. "Is something wrong, Sunshine?" He asks.

     "This doesn't feel right to me." I say, sitting up. "It's two in the morning, and I'm getting tired, yet there's no Moon. Why?" I ask him.

     "S-something's just not right with him! I don't know what it is!" Sun says. "B-but not to worry! If he can put you to rest, then I sure can, right?"

"I want to see Moon, Sun. I understand that you think something is wrong, but I still want to see him and make sure he's okay." I look into Sun's eyes, sincere about what I'm saying.

     "Mmmphhhh, okay!" Sun walks over to the security desk. "Please, though, hide for me, would you?"

     "Why would I need to hide from Moon?" I ask as I climb down from the structure.

     "Because, something's wro-" before Sun could finish his sentence, however, the lights flicker off suddenly. Sun's bright warm colors turn to dark cold colors and his head spins around, switching to Moon.

     "Moon, are you alright?" I ask. It's hard to tell if he is, mainly because his head is facing the ground.

     I step closer to him. "Moon?" I reach a hand out to him, and he suddenly grabs it with force, squeezing so tight I'm afraid he's going to break my wrist.

     "You're hurting me! Ow!" I shout, trying to free myself. Moon finally looks up, red simmering eyes piercing through me. I can see  why Sun was so worried.

     "Oh, sweetheart, what time is it?" He asks. Such a sweet question in such a petrifying voice.

     "I-it's hard to tell when you're grabbing one of my wrists so tightly. I can't grab my tablet..."

     "Then let me say it for you~" He maniacally cooes, his grip on my wrist tightening. I feel a  sharp pain in my wrist, but I'm to scared to scream. The wire connects to his back and he pulls me up with him, only holding onto my wrist.

     We're so close to the ceiling that if Moon reached his hand up, he could touch it. Instead of doing that, he grabs my other arm and lifts me up until our faces are close to each other's.

     "It's past your bedtime."