Slip

I walk back to the daycare, thinking about what my boss meant about the animatronics getting quirky at night. I don't think about it, though. Instead, I think about what's going to happen tonight. Is it going to be just like the day, where Sun offers me a Sunnydrop every five seconds, or if it will be different?

     I mean, when it's night, that means it gets dark. That means lights will be turned off with nobody there but security guards. With the lights off, then he transforms into that mysterious Moon character. I question a lot about who he is.

     When I walk into the daycare, the lights are still off. It must still be nap time. I look around and notice Moon quietly consulting a child that will not go to sleep. The child then points to me and whispers something angrily. Moon looks over at me and all I can do is freeze with an awkward face and look right back.

     Moon whispers something back to the child and gives them a Moondrop. The kid angrily takes the Moondrop and eats it before sleeplessly laying down. Then Moon hovers upwards until I can't see him in the darkness. I walk over to the security desk, and I sit down in my spinney chair. I turn down the computer brightness on each screen. I heard blue light disrupts people's sleep, so I don't want it to be very bright.

     I stare at the blank screen once again. Nothing changes. No messages. Not anything. My eyelids start to droop, tired from boredom. I start to nod my head a bit as well.

     "Tired?" a voice directly in front of me asks. I jump an inch from my seat as my eyes shoot open. I look and notice Moon's face right in front of my desk, floating from the cord attached to his back.

     "Not anymore. You scared the life out of me!" I whisper.

     "Then I'll be more than happy to scare the life out of you more tonight," He whispers back. I guess word spreads quickly for him to know I'm also working the night shift.

     "Who told you?" I ask him. He shrugs before taking my hand. I'm confused as he puts something in it. When he let's go, I look in my hand to find a Moondrop.

     "Nothing should happen. You might as well rest while you can," he says before chuckling and floating away. I look back at the Moondrop. I could get fired for working on the job. I get a notification on my tablet from my boss. "Yes, you can sleep," it says. I look around, but I don't see him watching through the glass or anything.

     I look back at the mysterious candy and decide to open it. When I pop it in my mouth, I instantly taste the soothing flavor of blueberry, raspberry, and grape with a slight cream soda flavor to it. Once again, an odd combination, but it tastes really good.

     I rest my head on my desk as my dreams come before my sleep. I wonder what's going to happen tonight when he said he was going to enjoy scaring the life out of me more. I'm sure it meant nothing but a joke...

     The next time I open my eyes, the lights are on, and Sun is screaming, "RISE AND SHINE, FRIENDS!!!" I raise my head from the desk, and I see another Sunnydrop laying there. I gladly grab it and pop it in my mouth. I don't really like being tired. I look around, noticing some kids standing up right away, some kids barely able to wake up, and some still sleeping through Sun's shouts.

     I look at my computer, sleep still draining out of me. I have only one message. My morning shift is over. I come back at 11:30 for the night shift and stay until 6 am. Even then, I would have to stay after 6 because that's when my normal morning shift starts, anyways. I stand up and gather my stuff from the desk, only to notice Sun watching.

     "Where are you going, ___?" He asks me, curiously.

     "I have to go home now. My shift is over." Even with his frozen face, he looks sad.

     "No! Please don't go! We haven't drunk Fizzy Faz together yet! I always drink Fizzy Faz with my friends!" He says desperately.

     "It's fine! I'll come back at 11:30 tonight. Then we can spend all night drinking Fizzy Faz!" I say. I don't think about questioning if he is even able to drink it or not.

     "Promise?" He asks me.

     "I Promise." And that's the last time I speak to him before I leave the Pizza Plex.

     I open My car door and I slip inside, setting my stuff in the passenger seat. I then shut the door, press the start button on the car, and drive off. I turn the radio on in my car only to be blasted with all the popular songs I hate. I grab my phone and connect it to the car, then I put on my favorite playlist. Some of the songs are a bop, which I jam to, and some are peaceful, which I would daydream to if I wasn't driving right now.

     When I get to my apartment, I unlock my door and walk into the kitchen, where I go to the fridge and grab some pizza from it. I sit on the couch in my living room, and I take a bite of the cold pizza as I open up Netflix. I lay down and eat the pizza slice as I binge Squid Game like I said I would.

     Next thing I know, I'm opening my eyes to see the time being 11:15 pm. I quickly get up and slip on the box pizza. I get up quickly and run to the bathroom where I brush my hair and spray some deodorant. I run to the kitchen, open the fridge, and grab a bottle of mustard.

     As I drink the bottle of mustard, I run out of my apartment, and I quickly slide into my car and speed out as fast as possible.

     I shouldn't have fallen asleep. I'm not in the mood for mustard.