Chapter 4 - The History

Ten years and a new century had come. Mabel had finished what she viewed as her calling in Yokohama, Japan. The years had established Mary Kidder's school as the source for young women to gain a valuable western education, as the nation had started opening up to the world.

She had also been instrumental in saving over one hundred young girls from a life of depravity, disease and misery. She and Mary created a haven for those who had no other choice. Not only had she rescued many, but others had sought out the school, begging for shelter and assistance once they'd been deemed "untouchable" or shunned by their families. These women had no other option, and the school created a purpose for each one.

Many of the girls had become teachers, mothers, respected nannies, employees, or caregivers. Some even married, and had families of their own. Others banded together and created store-front businesses and continued the outreach in other cities. She was so proud of what the women had done.

But she couldn't save them all, and the failures ate at her soul. Those that died, or committed suicide, those that were such shells of themselves they were unreachable. They burned her heart more than all the success... So much that it was time to go.

Mabel's mother had finally died, leaving the family business and estate to their only daughter. The real estate holdings that Ambassador Swift had in his possession had kept the family afloat over the years, but the real heart was the metalwork design and engineering firm.

It was time to go back. Mabel wanted to disappear again. She was thirty years old and needed a new purpose, some peace in her heart and a place to call home.

*****
"Miss Swift, I have the gentleman with the plans for the Lake house in the front parlor."

"Oh, is he still here?

"Yes, Ma'am, he'd like to meet with you if possible. I think he has some questions about what you'd like to add to the property."

"Please show him in."

Mabel walked to her father's big cherry desk in the center of the room. She needed the power it emitted, when working with men. She hadn't changed much in the room, except removing the humidor, and big cigar trays. She couldn't stand tobacco smoke, and prohibited her employees from smoking anywhere on the premises.

"Miss Swift?"

Mabel looked up and her heart leapt in her chest as she took in the man standing in front of her. She had no idea why, other than the blue of his eyes seemed to look right through her, and not at her.

The man, a sturdy looking gentlemen about ten years her senior, approached. Taking off his brown felt hat, and bowing slightly, he introduced himself.

"Hello Miss Swift, my name is Lawrence Cameron. May I show you the plans you requested?"

Mabel had a hard time speaking, and swallowed the lump in her throat, before closing the gap. Her sensible dark green skirt, and low heeled boots swished as she rounded her father's desk.

"Please, just Mabel." She smiled and offered her hand for a very forward masculine shake, rather than a proffered gloved appendage offered for a kiss.

He started a bit and smiled, his wide face cracked with a comfortable grin, and the mustache he wore revealed even white teeth. Mabel realized that while he was surprised by her demeanor, he wasn't uncomfortable with it.

"Then I insist, just Lawrence."

He shook her hand, and the callouses he had told of years of skilled labor along with his design prowess. Mabel had a hard time not staring at him. His ease with her and her forward  manner made her blush a bit.  This had never happened before, and she knew she'd never  forget the way she felt right now.

Lawrence offered her a long leather tube with a roll of drawings inside. Mabel accepted the unwieldly case and walked over to a long high table that was used to view such plans. Her father had approved many such building projects in his day right at this space.

Turning from him, she looked back. "Please come show me what you have here."

"Yes, ma'am, right away." Lawrence was still smiling and his cheekbones showed a bit of color, as he followed her to the table. Mabel wondered if she had caused that color.

They spent a good hour going over the layout and measurements describing the new structures that would make up Mabel's hiding place.

The new century had brought about the idea of nature as a healing space, and water as a restorative influence. Mabel was a believer of all of these concepts, as she knew the benefits of the Japanese bath house traditions.

She needed a peaceful retreat, and Lawrence had just created the perfect way for her to find herself again. The only problem was that now she might possibly not want to disappear from everyone.

"But Dad...what happened after that?"

Janey begged her father, as he got up from the kitchen table. It had been a year, and summer had come again, along with three months at the Lake house. An afternoon of unpacking had prompted a lot of questions about who built the house. Janey was tracing her fingers along the scrollwork on the old mantle that adorned the fireplace, when after dinner Tom had offered a story.

"Janey, I'll tell you tomorrow, it's late and I'm beat." Tom smiled down at his daughter and ruffled her hair. The braids weren't so regular anymore. Marcie had decided it was time to update her hairstyle and had taken her to a salon, where they cut off the braids and created a short layered look with bangs and curls. Marcie had loved getting Janey her first curling iron and showing her how to use it so she didn't burn herself. It was a learning process, and Janey had a few red marks at her hairline to show for it, but the new style did seem to allow her a certain status at school, and that she appreciated.

"Don't forget, okay dad! I really want to know!"

"Alright, kiddo... I won't forget."

Janey hugged her father and turned to get ready for bed. The year hadn't been as terrible as she had originally thought it was going to be. Dad hadn't stopped drinking entirely, but he had slowed down. She thought perhaps "the event" had really affected him more than he let on...and if that was the case, she thought it was all worth it. Tom had eventually come around to be the father she had remembered. He smiled at her, ruffled her hair, told her stories and cooked dinner whenever Marcie was out. He made sure she finished her homework and always was there for every band concert and play she had during the school year.

Dad had also gone to church, not every week, but it was a start...and he kept his drinks quiet in his home office, and never let himself get as far as he did that awful day. He had started going back to work a few days a week, too.

He had a knack for metal work and composition, and would spend days in the welding room at the studio, mocking up projects that would go into production for other companies to use. Cameron was a name that was still powerful in the industry, even though Tom and his brother had used up most of the leverage from the name. It was only his grandmother's forethought and investments that had kept the family afloat these long years.

Tom checked on Janey as she curled up in the twin bed she loved to use whenever they spent time here, and he thanked Mabel again. Without her he knew this place would never have been possible.