Chapter 28 - The Painting

Her shoes tick-tacked on the sidewalk with a satisfying purpose. She loved wearing heels. It must have been left over from the girly-girl things from childhood. She also loved walking fast and listening to the echoes on the ground.

It sounded like she had a reason for being there, for taking up space. The clicks and clacks gave her intent, and it seemed others noticed too and gave way to the woman creating them. 'She must have a place to go, let's make room for those great shoes.'

Even though they were only pedestrian navy-blue two-inch kitten heels in patent leather. They were perfect. Janey had a soft spot for shoes.

She double checked her messenger bag, making sure the new Nikon D-70 camera had the extra lens and cap inside, along with an extra battery and memory card. Her BlackBerry and digital voice recorder were still where she put them as well, and she calmed the small butterflies that swarmed her stomach.

This was just another assignment, and she exhaled through pursed lips. Her other hand cradled the paper cup with the spill proof lid and cardboard sleeve. She'd found that the coffee shop near her loft had great hot chocolate. It had become a renewed luxury that brought back memories and nostalgia.

Janey had studied her clothes closely this morning. She needed to make a good impression. One of the newsletters she followed online which published tips for professional women had some good advice when picking colors for business wear.

Black meant power and class, use it when you needed to show someone you were in authority. Navy promoted trustworthiness, wear it when you wanted someone to believe you or trust you. Pink brought forward innocence and femininity. Do you need a break? Pity? An extra chance? Wear pink. Red was off-putting and to be avoided unless your profession was in the entertainment industry. Red attracted too much attention. Janey smiled at the recollection and put her red sweater near the front of her closet.

But today was important. Janey chose a navy, Jones New York pantsuit that just skimmed her hips, but enhanced the shape and structure of the rest of her body. She paired it with a baby pink shell and gold earrings. Modest, trustworthy but still feminine.

Hopefully the painter would trust her enough to reveal some of his inspiration and secrets. She couldn't do much with her hair still...it was just too unruly. So, she expertly did the half-assed braid she was familiar with, pulling a few curls forward to frame her face, and topping it off with a clip that had a cluster of pearls.

She smiled in the mirror before she left and pressed a finger over the tree pendant hiding inside her blouse.

As she approached the Bonfoey Gallery, the arched sign above Euclid indicated she had reached Playhouse Square, the beating cultural heart of Cleveland. The white stucco front was low and unassuming. It looked more like the front for a plumbing supply store. No one would know this business had been around for over a hundred years. The Bonfoey showcased new artists, established talent and even students. They were a powerhouse in the current art market. Launching many careers and enhancing countless others. Tonight, was a huge opening night for the artist in question, so she had a jump on the story before anyone else could vie for an interview.

MAC, the artist Janey was here to talk with, was a conundrum. He'd been discovered over five years ago, as a small-time oil painter that only had local shows in New York state with little success. He was mainly displaying his work in coffee houses and cafes. His paintings were mundane. Whimsical landscapes with a storybook feel. Bright colors, playful lines. Nothing special really. His main customers were retirees and Junior Leaguers looking for something a step above what was on the wall at the local Super 8, but still peaceful for a guest room or child's playroom.