Chapter 28

They sat across each other. Lifelessly pushing the glass figures on the board. The fireplace's soft cracking was the only sound that filled the gloomy, cold library.

Erik had his legs crossed, gaze fixed on the table in front of him. There were dark circles under his eyes and he bit his lip, more in desperation than concentration.

Charles looked even worse. He held his head in his hand, too tired to keep up straight.
He blinked once, twice before letting out a deep sight.

The game was stuck. No matter how many steps Charles tried to for see, the figure dancing over the board in his mind, there was no real solution in sight anytime soon.

"It's your fault, you know", he whined as he pushed one of the knights to beat Erik's pawn.
Erik stopped in his tracks and just stared his opponent down.

"Excuse me?", he asked, seriously not knowing what his opponent was on about.

"You pushed her.", Charles nearly whispered, still not looking at him.

It clicked. Now he knew.

"I lov...", Erik growled silently, calming himself, 
"I didn't. If anything it's your fault. You were the one constantly being in her head, you wouldn't leave her alone."

"At least I didn't throw myself on her physically", Charles huffed as he glared back.

"I didn't THROW... ... ...damn you Charles...", Erik hissed, his gaze drifting off into the darkness of the library. Searching. Listening. Hoping to find something. 

She'd been gone since about a month now. After Erik had confronted her about the cats, he'd brought her to her room, wished her a pleasant night and...
Erik had to blink the thought away.

It was true, he was probably the reason why she'd left. Not that she really left in the first place, she was just gone. It was still very early the next day, when Raven had rushed into Charles room, asking him were Y/n had gone.

Charles, as confused about it as her, looking up from his book, had tried calming her down.

"She's been here not 2 hours ago. Getting me breakfast."-

"Well, her Car's gone."

They then gone to Erik to wake him up, expecting him to know something.

"What do you mean, she's GONE?!", Erik had snapped, sitting up in his bed with his chest bare and his head ruffled.
Raven had blushed and quickly turned her gaze away. 

Charles had remained calm. Maybe she'd just been out. Unusual but not impossible. After about a day he'd called everyone out if they had seen or heard of her.

Nothing happened. For the next day. For the days to follow. Charles was worried to death and Erik furious that his friend couldn't find her.

The kids missed their favorite teacher and the food she provided - (since Charles cooking was way worse than bad)
And Raven was the only one keeping a calm head, telling everybody to calm down and just leave her be for a ... some time.

Erik and Charles were devastated. Everyone could clearly see it. While Erik was purely and stubbornly denying his sadness, Charles would simply blush and say that he missed her as an "asset". The kids silently enjoyed their bantering, knowing just how much the two obviously needed her.