Chapter 53

"Good Morning.", Charles purred and with that, kissed the top of her head.
She stood in the kitchen, making Sandwiches for the kids.

"Good morning, Mister Xavier.", she muttered.

Her back was turned to him as he went over to make himself a tea.

The night and the happenings of it had caused her stomach pain and headache. Not that she'd noticed. She had explained the weird tingling and buzzing in her head away, by convincing herself it was the weather. 

Yes. The weather. 

She thought as she looked out the window. 

It was sunny, blue sky, soft breeze. Must be the weather. 

Not the feeling of being torn apart by being endlessly loved and in love with two men. Men who were somewhere in between best friends and archenemies. 
Nothing about that, she thought. It wasn't the kiss that had completely riled her up last night.

No. The weather it was. 

"I'll do your tea.", she interrupted Xaviers doing as she heard him already causing a mess. He looked up from the cup in his hand to see her nodding reassuringly.

He wondered what went on in her head. She had gazed out the window so puzzingly. As if trying to solve a riddle that was painted in the sky. 

"Thanks, love.", he smiled and stepped away from the counter as she took his place.

He watched her. She looked absolutely stunning that morning. In a tight creme colored dress, her hair up in a lose bun, her soft eyes gazing over his cup as she worked elegantly to fill it. 

He would love to read her mind from time to time. Yet time and again he reminded himself that that was not the way he wanted it to be with her. 

"Is this how it goes now?", she asked.
Breaking the comfortable silence between them. He smirked, tilting his head as he still eyed her from the side. 
"How what goes?", he asked. 

"Erik spends the evenings with me and we our mornings?", her voice was soft as silk but Charles still heard the small protest in them.

He laughed anyways, before adding: "It seems like it.

"Well do I have any time for myself now? Since the kids take the rest of it.", she said and put down his tea in front of him, adding the sweetest, smallest drop of milk.

Her hand on her hip, she gazed down at his cheeky grin, her expression stern.
"You should ask your boss for some holidays.", Charles smiled at her while he watched the tea turning lighter with every spin of the spoon.

A small smile that sure appeared on her lips as well.

"I should. But I suppose he needs me.", she stated, with a small delightful sight.
"I suppose he does.", Charles whispered.
She chuckled softly and turned around without looking at his eyes.

How could she, after all. 

She could not feel much, but her conscious still spoke to her. 

Being with the two of them just wasn't going to work out. Not for her and not for them. And just being close to Charles like that, after the night with Erik was truly making her head feel a bit dizzy. 

"Do you avoid me, love?", Charles smirked.

She asked herself if he read her mind or if he just read her body language.

"Maybe, Professor.", she smiled to herself, shaking her head softly at his openness towards her.

"Why?", he asked.

She sighted and turned back around.  Y/N put down his breakfast in front of him.

He had his head on his hands and a bold smile on his lips.

"I told you before. I tend to get lost in them. Your...", she gestured at her eyes.
Charles smiled brighter.

"And now stop interrupting me from feeding YOUR kids, Professor.", she hissed softly, staring straight at him.

She was pretty close and slowly turned away to get back to the counter.

Charles chuckled at their little banter. 
He was so in love with that stoic woman it was unbelievable to him. She had truly just jumped right into his heart from the moment he'd first seen her in russia. And he still couldn't believe she was standing in his kitchen, cooking for his children with a passion that he'd hadn't believed possible. 

Down his spin and he clenched his jaw, wishing it all away.

He continued: "I feel like I don't know you. It worries me. You just come back here and teach the children. Switch into a completely different person.", he pleaded.

She shook her head once again, her soft hand now on his chin, turning his head, forcing him to look at her. 

"You do know me. In fact. Only when you've seen that dark side of me you know me at all. And until you will forgive me for being that person, you will not be able to love me.", she frowned, "So I guess you have already."
He angrily stared back at the table, thinking hard.

It took some time, but finally, he spoke:
"I think I did...", his voice getting softer.

"Then there is nothing to worry about.", she whispered, kissed his temple and drew back.

Again, her lips felt cool and so very right pressed against his skin like that. 
He held her hand and pulled her back, staring her straight in the eyes. Not allowing her to leave. 

He looked dangerous like that and for a moment, she thought about how he could simply rip her mind apart if he wanted.

As he pulled back a little, he kept her head in place and looked into her eyes.
"Try...not to kill to many people...okay?", he muttered.

She held his intense gaze, sighting.
"I will do everything to protect us.", she answered stoic.

"Okay okay. But...apart from that, yeah?", he frowned now, looking at her nearly pleadingly.

She chuckled and nodded softly.

More and more children started to wander into the kitchen. 

The morning was a sweet one. Filled with chuckles and smiles and unspoken forgiveness.