Chapter 41

"Mister Lehnsherr!"

Erik flinched.

His love for mutants was strong - true, but his hate for children was still present and he'd enjoyed to be left alone after class ended.

"Yes Ms Grey?", he asked ennerved, hiding his cigarette.
This was his secret smoking spot that he used for stressful days and he didn't like being disturbed.

"You need to get to the professors office!", she hissed silently, like sharing something top secret.

Erik frowned. "Why the hell would I?"

"Because...because...irgh. I'm losing the bet!", she gestured wildly, turning away.

Erik watched her intensely, frowning, deeply inhaling grey smoke.

Jean wore her usual Shirt-under-blazer combo and had her red mane lovingly tamed in a sweet bun.

She looked way to...professional and serious to be in that...in that...

"Wait...", Erik stopped her, "You're in that stupid bet?"

Jean turned to him. Her face shifting from emotionless to caring in a matter of seconds. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and stood his judging gaze.

"...Maybe?"

"And your on MY side?", Erik couldn't stop the dark chuckle that escaped him.

"...yeah? It's more likely. I mean Charles is great but he's...you know. Clumsy. And...Charles.", she shrugged carefully.

Erik snickered. "True. Yet I didn't think any of your kids would be on my side. I thought you all hated me."

"Well practically...", she looked away.

"Stop Jean."

"Okay okay."

"So who else thinks that...", he gestured something with his hand, encouraging her to speak.

His black coat fluttered softly in the wind and some of the ash of his cigarette fell on his leather gloves.

"Well uh...the younger kids all think you're mean...but most of the older girl's actually give you the go. Like Storm. Raven too. And well Peter", she shrugged.

"Wait...RAVEN?", he hissed and Jean chuckled.

"Yeah. pretty much everyone is in. Apart from you, Charles and Sienna of course."

"Me and Charles are actually in.", Erik shrugged, breathing out a bit of smoke.

"Are you betting on yourselves?", she chuckled.

Erik shrugged again, rolling his eyes. "Course."

"Charming."

"Now what is with Xaviers office?"

Jean sighted.

"They are having like the nicest time in there. She was trying to help him with some paperwork and the door was closed since then. Go do something!"

Erik blinked a few times before frowning.

"What am I supposed to do? Run in there? Let them have a nice time. They're just friends."

Jean raised a brow. "Friends. Have you seen him looking at her?"

"Sure. Good for him. Is she giving in though? Hell no. She's none of his little university bunny's that fall into his arms.", he grumbled, turning around, smoking slightly more nervously than before.

"That may be the case, yet he's the one who brought her in the first place. Gave her a home. Got her off the battlefield. Makes her feel..I don't even know? Whole? Special? The only thing I see is that he treats her like a damn Princess! And you don't even seem to care!", Jean hissed now, gesturing wildly.

"Yeah? Well? He's head over heels. So what? She won't bite.", he mumbled, looking over his shoulder, back at her.

"So are you! So go!"

Erik laughed, turning his head away.

"I am NOT. She's pretty yes. She's a strong mutant too. That's about it. If I ask her out it's because stuff WE shouldn't be talking about.", he played it cool.

"You know. One day when I roll my eyes at you I will roll them too hard and go blind.", Jean hissed.

"What's that suppose to mean?", Erik hissed back, turning back to face her once again.

"That you love her and you know it as well as I do!"

"I do NOT.", he huffed, his arms crossed in front of his chest, looking into the distance.

"Oh really?! You know what? I think she loves you to. I think she's confused because of your behavior.", Jean stated boldly, her hands into fists.

"What would you know of that?", he huffed again.

"The way she stares at you whenever she sees you in the hall? How her gaze follows you?
The way she always automatically smiles when she sees you running or torturing us in Sports? The way she softly sighs when someone speaks about you? How she looks up from whatever she does when someone says your name? The way she blushes after a conversation with you? She may is stoic and she may doesn't even feel it, but her body still reacts to you, you know? There is a REASON i'm on your side in this bet. And the reason is obvious facts!"

Erik stared at her unblinking.
His cheeks had ever so slightly reddened and the Cigarette had fallen to the ground.

"Uh...does she really...we're just...", he stuttered, his face constantly changing between bliss and it-can't-be.

"The THING is, that she may isn't even noticing. She doesn't feel. So maybe she doesn't even know she loves you. So go to her, and MAKE HER FEEL.", Jean gestured wildly, her cheeks red now from anger.

Erik blinked a few more times before staring at her.

"You are very invested in this...aren't you?", he asked impressed, Suppressing a smile.

"...Maybe?", she asked, her hands on her waist and her hair ruffled, "It IS a very engaging lovestory.", she shrugged.