Chapter 34

"How...uh..." Charles tried to keep the conversation going after his friend was gone, but his voice gave up on him.

"No. How are you feeling?", she asked softly, turning her head to him again.

Charles sighted and studied her.
"Exhausted. Worried. Confused."

She nodded softly, looking down at herself.

"I am sorry, Charles.", she whispered, not daring to look into those blue eyes of his.

"I know, i-"
"No. I am sorry.", she repeated.

"Listen, you don't have to-"

"I am so, so very sorry Charles. I shouldn't have done this to you. You deserve so much better.", she repeated one more time, her gaze finally finding his.

Charles gulped. No he didn't. He didn't deserve better. There had to be something with her. He couldn't have anything in his life that wouldn't run away sooner or later, this was the third time and he started to see a pattern.

Everyone he loved would eventually leave him behind for revenge or...damn selfish revolutions or who knew.

Everyone left and it ate him alive. What was it about him that drove everyone away? Was it-

"If I was ever in life-threatening danger, i would have told you in Person....I...i would never run away from you Charles. Or from this place. Please believe me.", she started.

Charles just kept looking at her. He didn't believe her. He wish he could.

But he'd tried with Erik and he'd tried with Raven - and even though they too came back, no one seemed to have a problem with leaving him behind in the first place.

"Look into my head Charles.", she could sense the uncertainty behind his skull.

"But-"

"You may."

With that, he did.

He saw per pacing around, phone in hand.

Saw her desperate look, hours of breaking her head over a decision. Pacing around the room at night, crouching down in front of her bed nearly pulling her hair out. Saw her writing her letter, kissing the envelope and softly putting it on her pillow. He saw her suitcase. The one that was still in the kitchen. He saw what she did. People talking to her in a familiar manner. People welcoming her back. Her telling them off. He saw her longing to come back. Longing for this place and the Peace it brought her.
Saw People falling dead.

"You've been...a what? Cleaner? Assassin- like? Who was the man on the phone? What...", he asked, looking up at her.

"For a certain time, yes.", she interrupted him, calming him a bit.

"But you'd stopped, yeah?"

"I stopped. For once.", she shook her head in the softest way to underline that.

"So this was...one last thing?", he quirked his brows, looking desperate.

"I owed someone. I thought the guy who killed him was gone. Turns out someone found him."

"So it was revenge? As Erik said?", Charles asked, his eyes not leaving hers.

"It's...not certainly about revenge.", she sighted, leaning back onto her pillow, " I just finished a job from long ago."

"And something went wrong?", Charles asked.

"No. Not really. Just bad luck. I guess I'd been out of the game for too long. Had to get out of a flat, jumped, landed on a metal balcony. As stupid as one can be...", she sighted.