Chapter 63

The week had started with an extreme drop of temperature.
Usual for this time of the year but still an a way unexpected.
Y/n watched. Standing by the window, her hands behind her back.

The leaves had turned to a lovely mix of warm colors. The children played outside. Enjoying the falling leaves and the few rays of sunshine that grazed them this lovely evening.

School had ended about 30 minutes ago. And after sending the kids off for the day, she had sat at her desk for a while, noticed she just couldn't find her concentration.
Tests lay on her desk, next to a steaming cup of tea. A white fountain pen, her black leather gloves and a stack of books.
She sighted softly, playing with a strand of her hair as she looked back at them.

During the last months over 30 more students had joined the school.

Charles was truly doing his very best to find all mutants in need.
Some days he and Erik would just drive off, off to talk another set of parents into sending their kids here. Misunderstood lonely kids, unable to control or understand their gifts.

One hand around her stomach, the other one softly running over her lower lip, she kept watching the children outside. She knew how it felt. Feeling out of place. Everyone here did. It was hard.

But this place gave them a feeling of belonging. Of not being alone.

Her gaze wandered to the red haired young girl down in the park. She walked next to Kurt and Scott, Wandering towards the great oak, where the younger kids played, trying their best to catch the falling leaves.

Small carved pumpkins still stood all over the gardens, remnants of the passed holiday.
She sighted.
Jean.

Jean was on her mind a lot lately. She was such a conflicted girl. She could hold such greatness or such destruction inside her.

Sometimes, Y/n felt deep in her heart, that maybe, it would be best to stop some of those powers before it was too late.

It was a horrible thought. Truly was.

But it was the sad reality. There were children here, that could kill grown man by a snap of their fingers. It was frightening.

Sometimes she wondered, when she saw one of the kids having a temper, how badly it could go.
Sometimes, she thought just how easily even her beloved Charles could rip people apart, drive them crazy or simply kill them all by having a bad seizure one day.
Frightening indeed.

Maybe it was simply her past, making her feel this way. Doubting everything, thinking of everything in it's absolute worst case scenario.

But there was good too. She had to remind herself. There was love at this place. Love and a feeling of unity.

A place that helped people,
the most valuable and vulnerable of people,
to not feel alone.

The woman frowned. A Soft frown that was caused by a deep sadness. A sadness she did neither feel nor notice.

She felt a bit alone lately. Not quite belonging at all.

When she saw them, Mystique, Hank, Erik and Charles together in the kitchen. All the memories and history they shared when they chatted along.

She heard them Talk about Cuba. About a first class and the man called Shaw.

At times she found herself standing in the doorway just watching.
She was nothing like them. Like Erik maybe. But Erik had found family and yet, sometimes seemed to long for something greater. Something more offensive.