22] Sunghoon

"It's time for us to leave mom" Niki had said while standing up from the bed.

"Of course, go home and get some rest you guys" their mother said smiling brightly at her kids. Suddenly her eyes stopped at Sunghoon himself. "Sunghoon, do you mind staying for a minute. Just for a small talk to get to know you" Sunghoon felt himself panic inside, did he do something wrong? Even Niki and Hana looked nervous, wondering what it could possibly be about. Both of them left eventually, giving him thumbs up as a good luck charm.

Sunghoon grabbed a chair nearby and placed it beside her bed. She didn't say anything, but she looked at him with hopeful eyes. In there was the love and affection that she gave her kids, and the look of happiness when she saw them made him smile as well.

"Sunghoon my dear. Are you close with my daughter?" The sudden question took him by surprise. But the thought of him and Hana made him smile, which Hana's mom took as a yes. "Sunghoon, I haven't told my kids yet. But this isn't my first time fainting. My kids, and especially my daughter seemed so happy introducing you to me. While I can't be there for them... Can you?" he didn't understand why she told him all of this, it was their first meeting after all. But her words also hurt his heart, her being sick might be serious than Niki and Hana knows. But she isn't telling them because she loves seeing them happy.

He just nodded at her question while looking down. He felt himself blinking away tears, he thought of his dad. They didn't get to say goodbye even. He wanted Niki and Hana to know this and spend every moment together with their mother. Who could disappear at any minute, but their mother asked for otherwise. For their happiness only.

"I... I lost my dad when I was younger" he started, taking a deep breath. "Everyday, I fear for the death of any close family member or friend. I want them to spend as much time as possible with you, if it is so... that you can't continue" he said drying his tears quickly with the back of his hand.

"Sunghoon my dear... I love them more than you can ever imagine. I'm sure that your mom feels the same about you too, and if your mom was me right now she would wish for you to spend every moment life like it is your last, bringing you happiness as every day pass by" she said, one hand caressing his cheek. He couldn't deny about that, he would be the same if he was in that bed and his mother didn't know what to do. He would only wish for her to live on happy. "Now tell me, are you interested in my daughter?" she asked smirking.

Her question made Sunghoon laugh as his tears was still falling, but it was the remaining ones. He was gonna stay positive for his friends outside the door. Thinking of Hana calmed him down, he couldn't be any happier having her around. They still had an old incident yet to be talked about, and every moment they spent together made him more confident in telling her all about his past life.

"I... yeah I might be actually" his answer made her smile brightly. He felt her cold hands meet his warm ones and she sat up which made their eyes meet. They were hopeful, but also sad.

"I got the results a few days ago that I might not live long, my kids... They've had it hard their entire lives, and if I could make their suffering go away with the snap of my fingers I would" her voice was breaking from the sadness and tears were slowly forming in her eyes. It made Sunghoon tear up but he was quick to wiper the, away with one of his hands. "I don't know how much longer I have left. So I just have a request for you my dear"

Sunghoon felt her take a stronger hold on one of his hands and her free one was stroking the top of his hand reassuringly.

"Whatever happens to me, please take care of her. She is very fragile and I don't want to go knowing that she's alone, locking herself away from the world. I've seen it before but with you... she could be happy" Sunghoon's heart was beating faster and faster. He had had a big interest in Hana for a while now and he could feel that his feelings were growing. Seeing Hana in pain was always one of the worst things he knew right now. If he could be the one who took her out of that darkness she's hiding, maybe he could help himself out of his own too? "And Sunghoon, don't forget that your dad would've loved to see the handsome young man you've become"