*°•[Apparitions and Game Boys: Chapter 12]•°*

[Y/N]

The elevator ride down was quiet, but the silence was comforting. I felt a little refreshed, glad to feel something other than guilt whenever I was around Sal.

The sound of the elevator ding rung out, and we both stepped off, making our way to Todd's apartment. Sal knocked on the door and a quiet "coming!" was heard from the other side.

The door opened and there stood Todd. His reddish curly hair framed his face perfectly, and the way he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose before he spoke was always so cute to me.

"Hello (Y/N). Hello Sal." He greeted.

"Hey Todd! We were wondering if you could help us with something."

"Well, I was just tutoring Ashley, but you can come in." He stated matter of factly.

I nodded and headed inside, Sal trailing behind me quietly.

"Hey Ash!" I waved at her.

"Hey (Nickname)! I was just finishing up with Todd so I'll be out of your hair." She chuckled, her emerald eyes beaming. Ashley looked behind me to Sal, her face lighting up even more.

"Hey, I'm Ash! You must be Sally Face! I've heard so much about you."

"I- um... Me?" Sal stuttered.

"Yeah, all good things, I swear! I'm glad I finally got to meet you!" She smiled at him.

I watched the whole ordeal, a small twinge of something unpleasant rooting itself in the back of my mind. I chewed on the inside of my cheek, trying to suppress whatever just came over me.

"Me too. Er, you too. Um, I mean, it's nice to meet you as well."

Jesus Christ.

"Well I'd love to stay and chat more but I have to get going. Thanks for helping me today, Todd."

"No problem. We can work more on algebra next week." Todd said, pushing his glasses further up his nose.

"Sounds good! I'll see you guys later. Hopefully I'll run into you again soon, Sally Face."

"Yeah, that would be awesome." Sal sighed, his voice going quiet for a second.

Gross.

"Well anyway, what did you two need help with?" Todd asked, redirecting his attention to us.

"Ash seems nice. Is she a freshman like us? What is she like?"

There that feeling was again.

"Dude..." I stuck out my tongue and made a 'blegh' face.

Sal looked up at me, then almost as if he snapped out of a trance, he turned his face away from me.

"Right! Um, sorry. Todd we need your help."

"I'm aware of that, but what are the details?" Todd asked.

I sighed before explaining everything to Todd. From Megan to our suspicions of the apartments being haunted, I explained everything.

"Hm, I see. I think I can be of some assistance."

"Really? That's great!" Sal and I said in unison.

"I believe an apparition resides in my bathroom as well. Maybe we can try out the gear boy in there." Todd suggested.

I nodded at him, a pool of anxiety forming in the pit of my stomach. It had been a while since my last encounter with a ghost and I had no idea how I would react.

We all walked into the small bathroom, the glow of the flurecent lights illuminating the room eerily. I could feel goosebumps form on my arms as I watched Sal pull out the gear boy.

"Hello? Is anyone there? We're not going to hurt you, we're friends." Sal called out.

It was silent, but I felt a slight presence in the room. Nothing happened, though, and we just continued to wait.

"Did the game light up, Sal?" Todd inquired.

"No. I don't think it's going to come out."

"I see. Does the game usually light up when you talk to Megan?"

"Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I usually just sit and talk to her, whether she comes out or not." He explained.

"Alright, I have an idea. I might be able to modify your gear boy to better detect supernatural hotspots."

"Cool. Sounds good to me." Sal said.

"First I'll need something to amplify the device's reception, and second, I'll need something to increase its electrical output."

"So...like a battery pack and an antenna?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Hold on, I think I have something that'll work. Man, Larry's gonna be bummed about this." I mumbled as I fished around in my jacket pocket for the walkie talkie.

I pulled it out and placed it in Todd's hand. A slight frown formed on my face knowing that the walkie talkie would be pretty much useless after this. But it was for the greater good.

Todd took the walkie talkie and Sal's gear boy and examined them before saying something.  "This'll work. It shouldn't take me that long."

"Alright. I'll be outside waiting for you Sal. Thanks Todd, I'll catch you later, okay?"

Todd nodded at me, and I left the apartment as fast as I could.

As soon as I was out, I pressed myself up against the wall, gripping my shirt in my fist.

I can never catch a break in this town, can I? Sighing, I slid down the wall and sunk to my feet. I looked down at the necklace Viola had given me. The contents of the vial had been shaken up a little bit, but it was still kind of pretty to look at.

Now that I thought about it, why was I upset with Sal in the first place? Was it really because I was scared that he would take Larry away, or was that an excuse? I mean, who am I kidding, of course it was an excuse. I knew the real reason, yet I couldn't accept it for some reason.

God, and what was that tinge of disgust earlier? It made my head hurt to think about it.

"Ugh, why do I have to be so damn emotional all the time." I grumbled, pressing my face into my knees.

Just then, the door to Todd's apartment opened and someone stepped out.

"Hey, are you ready?" Sal asked me.

I looked up at him, my eyes locked with his for a moment. There it was again, that distant look, that roaring blue ocean in his eyes. I bit my lip, averting my gaze to the ground at my feet

"Y-Yeah. Let's go."

[A/N: GOD THIS WAS SO RUSHED 😭😭😭
but hey, at least I got it out :) I'm not even gon lie to y'all, this book has absolutely no schedule 💀💀 but I promise we'll be getting to the good parts in a sec. Also it's rlly fun reading you guys' comments and theories, it motivates me to keep this book going even tho it's been rlly hard for me. Tysm for all the love and support, and I *should* be posting the next chapter in a week or so. We'll see.]