19. You Should See Me In A Crown

Mista had come straight back from a mission and a four-hour plane trip, yet he looked less exhausted than Giorno when they sat down together in a private room. Even though he held his posture, Mista knew him too well.

"So, that was Miss Kujo."

Giorno hummed before trying to divert his attention. "Shouldn't you give me the details of the mission?"

"It went well," Mista said with a roll of his eyes, stretching his arms above his head. "But you must already know that since Fugo has been a pain in the ass, badgering me for reports."

At Giorno's snort, Mista's lip curled, watching him carefully. "Speaking of Fugo, he doesn't seem to like Signorina Kujo much."

"Fugo isn't fond of anyone. Sometimes I think he isn't fond of us either," Giorno replied dryly, resting his back against his seat into a more relaxed posture. "But Abbacchio adores her, if you can believe it. You know how difficult it is for him to warm up to anyone."

He seemed serene, but Mista had been by Giorno's side for too many years not to notice the tension when he mentioned the woman. According to Fugo, despite her lack of respect, their boss was absurdly irrational when it came to her. Because of his weakness for her blood, he was willing to indulge her in anything.

Mista had believed that he was exaggerating. Fugo tended to be like that with any lack of protocol he observed. The girl was American, so of course she would not know anything about mafia protocol.

He had believed that until he had witnessed Giorno tense up and give her one last lingering look as she hung onto Abbacchio's back and laughed evilly despite the silver-haired man's shouted protests (he claimed that he didn't want his clothes to be stained by her menstrual blood).

"I'm sure you're already aware of how reckless it was of you to take her to Nápoles. She could have found out about the..." He observed Giorno's face, which looked more expressionless than usual. His jaw dropped. "You told her!"

Giorno bristled at his accusation. "She already knows a lot about me, just as I do about her. Compared to everything else, this is hardly anything!" When he realized that he had become upset, he sighed. "You've only just met her, but the rest have no problem with her."

Mista raised his hand to interrupt him. "A navel piercing and three ear studs! She was born the day after the third. She's the one before the fifth of her blood. Need I say more? It's obvious that she's bad luck."

"I don't know if earrings and piercings fall into the same category," Giorno told him patiently, used to his tetraphobia. "And until a few years ago, before her great-grandfather's passing, she was the fifth if you also count her great-uncle. Mr. Joestar's bad luck just happened to take the shape of a monster named Donatello."

"Are you defending her because she's attractive?" Mista asked him.

"I'm too tired for this today. Yesterday, another one of my brothers attacked us and she managed to stop him."

The subject of the Stand attack and another son of Dio was enough to change their focus of topics. He called Bruno and Fugo to inform them about the incident. He didn't summon Abbacchio because he was sure the man would probably hear of the information from Bruno or even from Jolyne directly.

Fixing reports took up the rest of his day. His vampire senses picked up the faint, lingering smell of blood. He didn't know if it was just a trick of the mind, but it was as if her scent had permeated his clothes while they were in the car.

The faint smell carried only a fraction of the strength it did when it was fresh. The experience was a bit like smelling freshly baked bread; it smelled delicious, but it didn't drive his senses wild the way it did to have her next to him. It was nice. Shaking his head to clear his mind of all thoughts about her, he went to the shower to remove any trace of her scent.