53. Que Bonito

Jolyne awakened with the sunrise. Although she hated getting up early, her body had become accustomed to the sun, despite the curtains of the hotel room being closed. Feeling slightly disoriented, it wasn't long before she noticed a warm body next to hers underneath the covers. She smiled and straightened up slightly to see Giorno asleep beside her. He looked as serene as ever; however, without that certain air of tension, he seemed truly relaxed. She wanted to caress the curls that fell on his forehead but was afraid that it would wake him up.

Unfortunately for her, Giorno was very used to being on alert, so he was hypersensitive to her gaze even in his sleep. His eyes darted underneath his eyelids before slowly opening.

"You can go back to sleep," Jolyne whispered, no longer restraining herself from stroking his forehead and playing with his curls. "It's super early."

"Don't want to," he mumbled, leaning into her touch. "I'd rather spend as much time as I can with my wife before we have to go back."

"Your wife..." Jolyne felt a flutter in her stomach, still getting used to the new address. "My family is going to go crazy when they find out. Maybe it would be better to continue to keep our marriage a secret for a little longer, at least until I break the news to my dad." Her face contracted. "Oh, God. Forget Dad, Mom is going to filet me when she finds out we didn't invite her."

"Would it do any good to make you and your mother both in charge of organizing the public ceremony? Of course, we could hire a wedding planner instead and you would have the final say for everything, but it might serve to placate her." Giorno moved a little closer to pull her to him and hug her better. "I don't want you to get in trouble with your family because of me."

"Well, they can get angry, but if there's one thing I've learned lately, it's that my family loves me unconditionally."

Giorno made a noise of agreement in his throat.

Jolyne opened her mouth, wanting to say something, but then closed it. After some hesitation, she tried again.

"Hey Giorno, about the official wedding, I was just wondering, but... Are you thinking of inviting your own mom?"

Giorno's brows pulled in as he snuggled closer against her. Burying his nose in her skin and taking a sniff, he was able to catch a faint whiff of the cherry blossom-scented shower gel she used last night after their lovemaking. With the smell of her blood no longer so overpowering, he had been able to appreciate the fragrance for once and slept soundly in her arms. If she wasn't in any pain right now, then—

"Punzie?"

Giorno sighed, moving his face back. He had gone so long without thinking about Lucia Giovanna, blocking everything about her. But as his wife, Jolyne deserved to know about certain things. Maybe he should have told her before they even agreed to marry.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable," Jolyne quickly said. "I mean, I'm your wife, not your mistress. You can have your secrets or share them whenever you want. Moreover, there are things that should stay between you and Josuke in therapy. It was just a passing thought."

"No, I think I'd rather tell you," Giorno said, almost surprised by how comfortable he felt with her. Anyway, he didn't want to keep secrets like this that would be disastrous to discover in the long run. "Even if we do invite her, I don't know if she'll come. I've hardly seen her since I killed her husband."

Jolyne's eyes widened but she waited patiently for him to explain.

Giorno stroked one of her soft locks of hair, absentminded for a moment. "You're aware that my stepfather used to abuse me during my childhood, but that isn't why I killed him. He did something much worse later, completely unforgivable."