24. Girls Just Want To Have Fun

During the two days following the party, life in the palazzo was filled with chaos. Everyone was trying to win back the Don's favor, especially after the punishment he had inflicted on the traitors.

For Jolyne, that meant spending hours with Master Mateo, her Italian teacher, as they watched expensive cars arrive one after another. She quickly grew bored of describing everything she saw in Italian. It was even more tedious considering that, thanks to Heaven's Door, she already understood everything they said. The only problem was that she did not know how to express herself in the language.

She was tired. Not only from the party, but also from what came afterward, which was so much worse. She had had many dreams of Giorno after drinking his blood. She had seen a similar situation in True Blood that pointed it toward being normal, but of course, that was a TV series and not a documentary; it was all made up. Although, taking into account all the seemingly accurate information, perhaps the author of the books, which was the source material, had met a real vampire.

The dreams had been very vivid, and now she didn't know how she was going to look Giorno in the face without dying of shame.

She had managed to avoid him quite successfully, though it also helped that, as she suspected, he was avoiding her, too. That and the fact that he was a full-time Don running a big mafia organization and they had practically forbidden her from going to the more public parts of the palazzo.

"Hey, you," said Abbacchio, interrupting the class session. "I have a mission I'm entrusting you with. If you'll excuse us, Master Mateo."

The old master said nothing when he whisked her away. Jolyne felt a certain energy thrum in her veins, the kind brought about by having a purpose. She did not know what the mission entailed, but whatever it was, she was willing to fulfill it.

"So, Abba, what do you have for me? Another espionage mission? A kidnapping? A good old fashioned beating for some upstart?"

"Nope," Abbacchio replied enigmatically. "You'll find out in a minute."

She followed him to the bedroom he and Bruno shared.

"As you well know, these days I've been quite busy with work. I need to check many alibis with Moody Blues." He handed her some brochures, which she flipped through eagerly. The contents on the pages were a little strange. "Charlie Tilbury is going to do a super exclusive sale of products and will only sell one per person. Trish already has her own entree, but I need someone to go with her to collect my things. Can I trust you?"

Jolyne blinked. "Are you asking me to go buy you makeup?"

"You're not understanding me," he said in a serious tone. "I'm asking you to fight for some products with some of the most vicious women in Italy."

Perhaps it was not the most serious or difficult mission, but something told her that if she did not get a certain palette of eyeshadow for Abbacchio, her life would not be easy.

After a while, a gift was delivered to her. It was a token of enormous appreciation and confidence in her situation. A smartphone. She would be accompanied by several bodyguards and Trish, but Giorno wanted a direct line of communication. The gift was much better received than the small fortune of jewelry she had received a couple of days earlier.

Maybe she couldn't get in touch with anyone or go on their social media, but she could watch videos of kittens and other nonsense, as well as finally listen to music without having to search for CDs.

The situation was pleasant; she had a phone and she could dress as she wanted for that 'mission,' which consisted of accompanying a friend to snatch an article. It was disconcertingly normal... Giorno was right, she needed a bit of normalcy.